News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Wynwood shuttles, gym equipment, mental health task force

Student Government’s Senate only has a few sessions left until the year ends, but in the meantime, Senate is still passing bills and finishing up projects.

• The University Affairs committee reported that there will be new equipment in the Wellness Center, and Mahoney-Pearson now rents out vacuums for students to clean their dorms.
  • Free shuttles to Wynwood will be provided this Saturday, sponsored by the Freshmen Leadership Council. Shuttles will depart from Stanford Circle beginning at 5 p.m. for every hour and a half until 11 p.m. and returning from Wynwood every hour and a half starting at 5:45 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. Students need a valid Cane Card to get on the shuttles.
  • Earth Week begins next week and runs from April 13-17 from 12- 2 p.m. on the Rock every day with free giveaways and other activities. The free ReUse store will be on April 15, which allows students to bring books, clothes or miscellaneous items to be swapped for other items.
  • In light of the recent mental health forum that took place this week, there will be a mental health task force created for next semester.
  • Several bills were passed:
    • SG will urge UM to support efforts by Florida business and individuals to pass the Florida Competitive Workforce Act, which will allow Florida to become more competitive in the national and global marketplace and integrate principles of equality and minority class protection.
    • The President of the Student Health Advisory Committee will appoint a liaison following the annual spring elections for one year. The liaison will have all the privileges of the Senate, except voting and being a committee chair.
    • A bill to recommend the expansion of UM’s medical amnesty policy to include drug overdose was passed. SG will recommend that the medical amnesty policy outlined in the UM Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook include protection for students who seek or receive medical attention for drug overdose.

Alina Zerpa

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...