News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Wynwood shuttles, gym equipment, mental health task force

Student Government’s Senate only has a few sessions left until the year ends, but in the meantime, Senate is still passing bills and finishing up projects.

• The University Affairs committee reported that there will be new equipment in the Wellness Center, and Mahoney-Pearson now rents out vacuums for students to clean their dorms.
  • Free shuttles to Wynwood will be provided this Saturday, sponsored by the Freshmen Leadership Council. Shuttles will depart from Stanford Circle beginning at 5 p.m. for every hour and a half until 11 p.m. and returning from Wynwood every hour and a half starting at 5:45 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. Students need a valid Cane Card to get on the shuttles.
  • Earth Week begins next week and runs from April 13-17 from 12- 2 p.m. on the Rock every day with free giveaways and other activities. The free ReUse store will be on April 15, which allows students to bring books, clothes or miscellaneous items to be swapped for other items.
  • In light of the recent mental health forum that took place this week, there will be a mental health task force created for next semester.
  • Several bills were passed:
    • SG will urge UM to support efforts by Florida business and individuals to pass the Florida Competitive Workforce Act, which will allow Florida to become more competitive in the national and global marketplace and integrate principles of equality and minority class protection.
    • The President of the Student Health Advisory Committee will appoint a liaison following the annual spring elections for one year. The liaison will have all the privileges of the Senate, except voting and being a committee chair.
    • A bill to recommend the expansion of UM’s medical amnesty policy to include drug overdose was passed. SG will recommend that the medical amnesty policy outlined in the UM Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook include protection for students who seek or receive medical attention for drug overdose.

Alina Zerpa

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...