News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Wynwood shuttles, gym equipment, mental health task force

Student Government’s Senate only has a few sessions left until the year ends, but in the meantime, Senate is still passing bills and finishing up projects.

• The University Affairs committee reported that there will be new equipment in the Wellness Center, and Mahoney-Pearson now rents out vacuums for students to clean their dorms.
  • Free shuttles to Wynwood will be provided this Saturday, sponsored by the Freshmen Leadership Council. Shuttles will depart from Stanford Circle beginning at 5 p.m. for every hour and a half until 11 p.m. and returning from Wynwood every hour and a half starting at 5:45 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. Students need a valid Cane Card to get on the shuttles.
  • Earth Week begins next week and runs from April 13-17 from 12- 2 p.m. on the Rock every day with free giveaways and other activities. The free ReUse store will be on April 15, which allows students to bring books, clothes or miscellaneous items to be swapped for other items.
  • In light of the recent mental health forum that took place this week, there will be a mental health task force created for next semester.
  • Several bills were passed:
    • SG will urge UM to support efforts by Florida business and individuals to pass the Florida Competitive Workforce Act, which will allow Florida to become more competitive in the national and global marketplace and integrate principles of equality and minority class protection.
    • The President of the Student Health Advisory Committee will appoint a liaison following the annual spring elections for one year. The liaison will have all the privileges of the Senate, except voting and being a committee chair.
    • A bill to recommend the expansion of UM’s medical amnesty policy to include drug overdose was passed. SG will recommend that the medical amnesty policy outlined in the UM Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook include protection for students who seek or receive medical attention for drug overdose.

Alina Zerpa

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...