News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Wynwood shuttles, gym equipment, mental health task force

Student Government’s Senate only has a few sessions left until the year ends, but in the meantime, Senate is still passing bills and finishing up projects.

• The University Affairs committee reported that there will be new equipment in the Wellness Center, and Mahoney-Pearson now rents out vacuums for students to clean their dorms.
  • Free shuttles to Wynwood will be provided this Saturday, sponsored by the Freshmen Leadership Council. Shuttles will depart from Stanford Circle beginning at 5 p.m. for every hour and a half until 11 p.m. and returning from Wynwood every hour and a half starting at 5:45 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. Students need a valid Cane Card to get on the shuttles.
  • Earth Week begins next week and runs from April 13-17 from 12- 2 p.m. on the Rock every day with free giveaways and other activities. The free ReUse store will be on April 15, which allows students to bring books, clothes or miscellaneous items to be swapped for other items.
  • In light of the recent mental health forum that took place this week, there will be a mental health task force created for next semester.
  • Several bills were passed:
    • SG will urge UM to support efforts by Florida business and individuals to pass the Florida Competitive Workforce Act, which will allow Florida to become more competitive in the national and global marketplace and integrate principles of equality and minority class protection.
    • The President of the Student Health Advisory Committee will appoint a liaison following the annual spring elections for one year. The liaison will have all the privileges of the Senate, except voting and being a committee chair.
    • A bill to recommend the expansion of UM’s medical amnesty policy to include drug overdose was passed. SG will recommend that the medical amnesty policy outlined in the UM Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook include protection for students who seek or receive medical attention for drug overdose.

Alina Zerpa

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...