News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Wynwood shuttles, gym equipment, mental health task force

Student Government’s Senate only has a few sessions left until the year ends, but in the meantime, Senate is still passing bills and finishing up projects.

• The University Affairs committee reported that there will be new equipment in the Wellness Center, and Mahoney-Pearson now rents out vacuums for students to clean their dorms.
  • Free shuttles to Wynwood will be provided this Saturday, sponsored by the Freshmen Leadership Council. Shuttles will depart from Stanford Circle beginning at 5 p.m. for every hour and a half until 11 p.m. and returning from Wynwood every hour and a half starting at 5:45 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. Students need a valid Cane Card to get on the shuttles.
  • Earth Week begins next week and runs from April 13-17 from 12- 2 p.m. on the Rock every day with free giveaways and other activities. The free ReUse store will be on April 15, which allows students to bring books, clothes or miscellaneous items to be swapped for other items.
  • In light of the recent mental health forum that took place this week, there will be a mental health task force created for next semester.
  • Several bills were passed:
    • SG will urge UM to support efforts by Florida business and individuals to pass the Florida Competitive Workforce Act, which will allow Florida to become more competitive in the national and global marketplace and integrate principles of equality and minority class protection.
    • The President of the Student Health Advisory Committee will appoint a liaison following the annual spring elections for one year. The liaison will have all the privileges of the Senate, except voting and being a committee chair.
    • A bill to recommend the expansion of UM’s medical amnesty policy to include drug overdose was passed. SG will recommend that the medical amnesty policy outlined in the UM Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook include protection for students who seek or receive medical attention for drug overdose.

Alina Zerpa

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...