Football, Sports

Hurricanes football team volunteers at Marrow Donor Drive

Miami football players partnered with Be the Match in their annual bone marrow drive // Courtesy Miami Football

Miami football players partnered with Be the Match in their annual bone marrow drive. // Courtesy Miami Football

Uniformed football players made their presence felt on campus Wednesday as they handed out promotional fliers while standing in high-trafficked areas like the Student Activities Center and the Rat.

This was a part of the Miami Hurricanes football team’s yearly UM Marrow Donor Drive in partnership with Be the Match Foundation.

Facilitators included coaches, players and other volunteers who guided participants through the process of becoming bone marrow donors.

Freshman defensive end Demetrius Jackson said the event was a success.

“We accomplished our mission of getting a lot of people to sign up, and I know that a lot of lives will be saved because of this event,” he said. “The more people, the better.”

To become a donor, potentials must be 18-60 years old, meet the required health guidelines and be willing to donate, if chosen. For more information, go to BeTheMatch.org.

Kayla Lott

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...