Football, Sports

Hurricanes football team volunteers at Marrow Donor Drive

Miami football players partnered with Be the Match in their annual bone marrow drive // Courtesy Miami Football

Miami football players partnered with Be the Match in their annual bone marrow drive. // Courtesy Miami Football

Uniformed football players made their presence felt on campus Wednesday as they handed out promotional fliers while standing in high-trafficked areas like the Student Activities Center and the Rat.

This was a part of the Miami Hurricanes football team’s yearly UM Marrow Donor Drive in partnership with Be the Match Foundation.

Facilitators included coaches, players and other volunteers who guided participants through the process of becoming bone marrow donors.

Freshman defensive end Demetrius Jackson said the event was a success.

“We accomplished our mission of getting a lot of people to sign up, and I know that a lot of lives will be saved because of this event,” he said. “The more people, the better.”

To become a donor, potentials must be 18-60 years old, meet the required health guidelines and be willing to donate, if chosen. For more information, go to BeTheMatch.org.

Kayla Lott

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...