Football, Sports

Hurricanes football team volunteers at Marrow Donor Drive

Miami football players partnered with Be the Match in their annual bone marrow drive // Courtesy Miami Football

Miami football players partnered with Be the Match in their annual bone marrow drive. // Courtesy Miami Football

Uniformed football players made their presence felt on campus Wednesday as they handed out promotional fliers while standing in high-trafficked areas like the Student Activities Center and the Rat.

This was a part of the Miami Hurricanes football team’s yearly UM Marrow Donor Drive in partnership with Be the Match Foundation.

Facilitators included coaches, players and other volunteers who guided participants through the process of becoming bone marrow donors.

Freshman defensive end Demetrius Jackson said the event was a success.

“We accomplished our mission of getting a lot of people to sign up, and I know that a lot of lives will be saved because of this event,” he said. “The more people, the better.”

To become a donor, potentials must be 18-60 years old, meet the required health guidelines and be willing to donate, if chosen. For more information, go to BeTheMatch.org.

Kayla Lott

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...