Names behind campus buildings: Looking into legacies

Ashe Building. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer
Whitten University Center. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Whitten University Center, Whitten Learning Center

Norman A. Whitten worked in student activities at UM during the 1950s. He was instrumental in the building process of the original Whitten University Center, which opened in 1965 as the student union. Whitten served as the first director of the student union but passed away after only one year of service, so the building was renamed the Whitten Student Union. According to the Association of College Unions International’s September 2005 issue of The Bulletin, Whitten also created the first concept of Sebastian the Ibis. 

Jerry Herman Ring Theatre

Jerry Herman graduated from UM with a bachelor of arts in drama in 1953. He composed music for the hit Broadway musicals “Hello, Dolly!,” “Mame” and “La Cage aux Folles.” Herman has been nominated for a Tony Award five times and won twice. He received the Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in 2009 and was a recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors in 2010.

Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center

The “official lovers of UM,” Patti McBride and Allan Herbert met at the university in the 1950s. Patti was sitting at a typewriter in The Miami Hurricane office as a freshman, and her friend approached to introduce her to Allan. She graduated with her bachelors in business administration in 1957 and he, with his masters in 1958. They have been married for more than 50 years. 

Ashe Administrative Building

Bowman Foster Ashe was the first president of UM, and he served from 1926-1952.

Pearson Residential College

Jay F. W. Pearson took over as president after Bowman Foster Ashe had his first of two debilitating strokes. He served for 10 years, and the university became desegregated under his tenure.

Stanford Residential College. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Stanford Residential College

Henry King Stanford’s presidency from 1962-1981 was marked by further emphasis on research activity, additions to physical facilities, and reorganization of the university’s administrative structure, according to miami.edu.

Edward T. Foote University Green

The fourth president of UM, Tad Foote served from 1981-2001 and helped raise undergraduate admissions and academic standards, recruit top faculty, secure private and government funding, and increase the university’s national and global profile.