News Briefs 4/9

Canes Go Bald 4 Kids

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation focuses on funding children’s cancer research, much of which is conducted at the Miller School of Medicine. To raise money, Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority is inviting students to donate their hair. The event is free for students. To register, join a team or donate, visit stbaldricks.org/events/CanesGoBald4Kids. Haircuts and head shaves will take place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, April 10 at the Rock.

Andy Garcia on the History of Cuba

Distinguished actor, director and producer Andy Garcia is narrating a new documentary on the history of Cuba titled, “Cuba: From Columbus to Castro.” Beginning with Christopher Columbus’s discovery on the island, it continues to explain Cuba’s history, Fidel Castro’s revolution, the turn to communism and the present state of the country. The DVD can be purchased for $20 by calling the Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies (ICCAS) at 305-284-2822 or e-mailing, iccas@miami.edu.

Hug a Cactus

In light of Earth Week, Hurricane Productions and Student Government’s ECO Agency is hosting a day dedicated to decorating planters, and taking home a baby cactus and free dirt cups with gummy worms and crushed Oreo’s. The event is free for all students and will be from 12–2 p.m. on Tuesday at the Rock.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Good day to everyone. The sun had just risen and those fax machines were already humming. The first ...

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Students in a School of Architecture design studio addressed some of Miami’s most intractable proble ...

Miami Law's Human Rights Clinic is intervening in a case focused on the issue of accountability ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...