News Briefs 4/9

Canes Go Bald 4 Kids

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation focuses on funding children’s cancer research, much of which is conducted at the Miller School of Medicine. To raise money, Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority is inviting students to donate their hair. The event is free for students. To register, join a team or donate, visit stbaldricks.org/events/CanesGoBald4Kids. Haircuts and head shaves will take place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, April 10 at the Rock.

Andy Garcia on the History of Cuba

Distinguished actor, director and producer Andy Garcia is narrating a new documentary on the history of Cuba titled, “Cuba: From Columbus to Castro.” Beginning with Christopher Columbus’s discovery on the island, it continues to explain Cuba’s history, Fidel Castro’s revolution, the turn to communism and the present state of the country. The DVD can be purchased for $20 by calling the Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies (ICCAS) at 305-284-2822 or e-mailing, iccas@miami.edu.

Hug a Cactus

In light of Earth Week, Hurricane Productions and Student Government’s ECO Agency is hosting a day dedicated to decorating planters, and taking home a baby cactus and free dirt cups with gummy worms and crushed Oreo’s. The event is free for all students and will be from 12–2 p.m. on Tuesday at the Rock.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...