News Briefs 4/9

Canes Go Bald 4 Kids

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation focuses on funding children’s cancer research, much of which is conducted at the Miller School of Medicine. To raise money, Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority is inviting students to donate their hair. The event is free for students. To register, join a team or donate, visit stbaldricks.org/events/CanesGoBald4Kids. Haircuts and head shaves will take place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, April 10 at the Rock.

Andy Garcia on the History of Cuba

Distinguished actor, director and producer Andy Garcia is narrating a new documentary on the history of Cuba titled, “Cuba: From Columbus to Castro.” Beginning with Christopher Columbus’s discovery on the island, it continues to explain Cuba’s history, Fidel Castro’s revolution, the turn to communism and the present state of the country. The DVD can be purchased for $20 by calling the Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies (ICCAS) at 305-284-2822 or e-mailing, iccas@miami.edu.

Hug a Cactus

In light of Earth Week, Hurricane Productions and Student Government’s ECO Agency is hosting a day dedicated to decorating planters, and taking home a baby cactus and free dirt cups with gummy worms and crushed Oreo’s. The event is free for all students and will be from 12–2 p.m. on Tuesday at the Rock.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of