Athletics, Basketball, Commentary, Sports

Hurricane guard Manu Lecomte will reportedly transfer from UM

Sophomore Guard Manu Lecomte (No. 20) drives past a Georgia Tech defender before he attempts a shot during Wednesday night’s game against the Yellow Jackets at the BankUnited Center. This week the Hurricanes broke back into the AP Top 25 and USA Today Coaches Poll at No. 23 in both rankings. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Sophomore Guard Manu Lecomte (No. 20) drives past a Georgia Tech defender before he attempts a shot during a game against the Yellow Jackets at the BankUnited Center. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

UPDATE: Coach Jim Larrañaga confirmed that DeAndre Burnett will also be transferring from the program.

After missing the NCAA tournament and finishing as the controversial runner up in the NIT, the chatter surrounding the Miami Hurricanes basketball team centered on the team’s strong finish to an up-and-down season and the optimism surrounding 11 scholarship players returning.

Now, only nine are slated to return, now that Belgian combo guard Manu Lecomte and fellow guard DeAndre Burnett have elected to transfer from the University of Miami. Coach Jim Larrañaga has confirmed these reports.

Lecomte was a key cog in the Miami machine this season, despite its inconsistent nature, and provided solid guard play in the wake of Angel Rodriguez’s prolonged slump to help carry the team at times.

The Belgian sophomore, nicknamed “Waffles,” dropped 23 points in Miami’s marquee win of the season, a 90-76 win over eventual national champion Duke. Lecomte’s performance that day was vital in ending the nation’s longest active home winning streak in Division I basketball, which is no small feat at Cameron Indoor Stadium among the Cameron Crazies.

Next season, the guard rotation was to be led by Angel Rodriguez, Sheldon McClellan and Davon Reed, with Burnett, Ja’Quan Newton, James Palmer and Lecomte playing in reserve roles. There were not enough minutes to go around, it seems.

For the year, Lecomte averaged 7.9 points in 22.4 minutes a game. Lecomte’s playing time had dwindled since his freshman campaign, in which he played 28 minutes a game. The sharp-shooting sophomore shot better from beyond the arc than he did from the field, shooting 46 percent on three-point attempts while just 43 percent overall.

His playing time shrunk with the emergence of Newton. Newton, a freshman from Philadelphia and also a combo guard, seems to have more upside than Lecomte. Newton is more athletic and a better defender, and often creates his own shot. Lecomte, meanwhile, is a 5-11 guard who relies on others to create his own shot and is a lesser ball handler than Newton.

Lecomte must sit out the 2015-2016 season due to NCAA transfer rules, but has two years of eligibility remaining.

Lecomte arrived at the University of Miami never having taken an official visit. He was the main point guard for the Hurricanes last season, oddly enough, as Angel Rodriguez sat on the bench in accordance to NCAA transfer rules. ​

Mark Poulose

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...