Edge, Theater

‘Edges’ depicts journey to self-discovery through song

QuantUM Entertainment presents its second production of the semester: “Edges,” a song cycle that shows that everyone is a little rough around the – well, edges.

“Edges” is a song cycle, meaning that there is no plot or dialogue. Instead, the songs are connected by a common theme of discovering one’s self.

The song cycle will be junior Danielle Davidson’s directorial debut, as she proposed the production and will serve as the director.

​“I saw this show for the first time last year and immediately knew I wanted to bring it to UM,” she said. “It’s so great to see a show where people like you are singing about the things you and your friends are going through right now. Especially for a college student, the theme of figuring out who you are and who you want to be is really important.”

Since the play revolves around songs, Davidson worked with graduate student Jenna Moore, the production’s musical director, to plan which songs they wanted in the play and which actors should sing those songs.

The actors do not play individual characters. Instead, they play several different characters throughout the play, depending on the song. Senior Adam Bornstein plays Man Two, and he describes the difficulties and subjective nature of a song cycle performance.

“We had a relatively short time to prepare this show, and although there’s no dialogue, the music itself is very complicated, so learning all the intricacies and then making those songs our own was a struggle,” Bornstein said. “I’d personally like to think that my character remains the same throughout all the songs, but that’s up to both my interpretation and the audience’s.”

Even though the production consists only of songs, the actors have some room for improvisation. Sophomore Joe Verga recalls one such improvisation as one of his favorite moments of the play.

“Adam [Bornstein], who plays Man Two, improvises a new monologue each time he performs his song ‘In Short,’ about how he wishes death upon his ex,” Verga said. “His past monologues have included references to ‘Frozen,’ ‘Pocahontas’ and other films, and we never know what to expect next.”

One of the most popular songs from the play, “Be My Friend,” brings out the best in the actors and discusses one of the most important parts of a young adult’s life: Facebook.

“There is a song that the whole cast sings in the middle of the first act called ‘Be My Friend.’ It’s all about needing Facebook to survive and the lyrics combined with the actors’ delivery of the lines makes me laugh every time,” Davidson said.

IF YOU GO

Where: Cosford Cinema

When: 8 p.m. Thursday, 8 p.m. Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday, 6 p.m. Saturday

Cost: Free

4For more information, visit Facebook.com/HPQuantUM.

Esther Ponce De Leon

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...