Edge, Theater

‘Edges’ depicts journey to self-discovery through song

QuantUM Entertainment presents its second production of the semester: “Edges,” a song cycle that shows that everyone is a little rough around the – well, edges.

“Edges” is a song cycle, meaning that there is no plot or dialogue. Instead, the songs are connected by a common theme of discovering one’s self.

The song cycle will be junior Danielle Davidson’s directorial debut, as she proposed the production and will serve as the director.

​“I saw this show for the first time last year and immediately knew I wanted to bring it to UM,” she said. “It’s so great to see a show where people like you are singing about the things you and your friends are going through right now. Especially for a college student, the theme of figuring out who you are and who you want to be is really important.”

Since the play revolves around songs, Davidson worked with graduate student Jenna Moore, the production’s musical director, to plan which songs they wanted in the play and which actors should sing those songs.

The actors do not play individual characters. Instead, they play several different characters throughout the play, depending on the song. Senior Adam Bornstein plays Man Two, and he describes the difficulties and subjective nature of a song cycle performance.

“We had a relatively short time to prepare this show, and although there’s no dialogue, the music itself is very complicated, so learning all the intricacies and then making those songs our own was a struggle,” Bornstein said. “I’d personally like to think that my character remains the same throughout all the songs, but that’s up to both my interpretation and the audience’s.”

Even though the production consists only of songs, the actors have some room for improvisation. Sophomore Joe Verga recalls one such improvisation as one of his favorite moments of the play.

“Adam [Bornstein], who plays Man Two, improvises a new monologue each time he performs his song ‘In Short,’ about how he wishes death upon his ex,” Verga said. “His past monologues have included references to ‘Frozen,’ ‘Pocahontas’ and other films, and we never know what to expect next.”

One of the most popular songs from the play, “Be My Friend,” brings out the best in the actors and discusses one of the most important parts of a young adult’s life: Facebook.

“There is a song that the whole cast sings in the middle of the first act called ‘Be My Friend.’ It’s all about needing Facebook to survive and the lyrics combined with the actors’ delivery of the lines makes me laugh every time,” Davidson said.

IF YOU GO

Where: Cosford Cinema

When: 8 p.m. Thursday, 8 p.m. Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday, 6 p.m. Saturday

Cost: Free

4For more information, visit Facebook.com/HPQuantUM.

Esther Ponce De Leon

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...