Campus Life, News

International Week celebrates campus cultures

The Council of International Students and Organizations’ (COISO) International Week 2015 is once again in action. I-Week is an innovative way to celebrate rich cultures from diverse regions of the world.

Each day of the week is dedicated to a different region of the world in order to represent the variety of cultures present at the University of Miami. This year’s theme is “The World’s A Party!”

The theme comes from the idea that despite the world’s differences, one way everyone connects is through the love of celebrations. These celebrations are showcased through tent games, live performances and free ethnic food.

Daily activities are held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the evening shows are from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the University Center Patio. COISO’s goal is to transform the UC Patio into a different region each day.

I-Week begins its celebration with Latin America and the Caribbean on Monday, followed by the Middle East on Tuesday. Asia will continue on Wednesday,  and Europe and Africa will take place on Thursday. The Islands will finish off the week.

Senior Kamila Orlova, the European and African chair, said that I-Week, COISO’s oldest tradition, will provide students the opportunity to share their cultures with the campus and the community.

“My hope and goal is to make International Week 2015 becomes a sort of a Disney tour around the countries of the world, which the entire University will be looking forward to every following year,” Orlova said.

Justina Coronel

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...