Campus Life, News

International Week celebrates campus cultures

The Council of International Students and Organizations’ (COISO) International Week 2015 is once again in action. I-Week is an innovative way to celebrate rich cultures from diverse regions of the world.

Each day of the week is dedicated to a different region of the world in order to represent the variety of cultures present at the University of Miami. This year’s theme is “The World’s A Party!”

The theme comes from the idea that despite the world’s differences, one way everyone connects is through the love of celebrations. These celebrations are showcased through tent games, live performances and free ethnic food.

Daily activities are held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the evening shows are from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the University Center Patio. COISO’s goal is to transform the UC Patio into a different region each day.

I-Week begins its celebration with Latin America and the Caribbean on Monday, followed by the Middle East on Tuesday. Asia will continue on Wednesday,  and Europe and Africa will take place on Thursday. The Islands will finish off the week.

Senior Kamila Orlova, the European and African chair, said that I-Week, COISO’s oldest tradition, will provide students the opportunity to share their cultures with the campus and the community.

“My hope and goal is to make International Week 2015 becomes a sort of a Disney tour around the countries of the world, which the entire University will be looking forward to every following year,” Orlova said.

Justina Coronel

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...