Campus Life, News

International Week celebrates campus cultures

The Council of International Students and Organizations’ (COISO) International Week 2015 is once again in action. I-Week is an innovative way to celebrate rich cultures from diverse regions of the world.

Each day of the week is dedicated to a different region of the world in order to represent the variety of cultures present at the University of Miami. This year’s theme is “The World’s A Party!”

The theme comes from the idea that despite the world’s differences, one way everyone connects is through the love of celebrations. These celebrations are showcased through tent games, live performances and free ethnic food.

Daily activities are held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the evening shows are from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the University Center Patio. COISO’s goal is to transform the UC Patio into a different region each day.

I-Week begins its celebration with Latin America and the Caribbean on Monday, followed by the Middle East on Tuesday. Asia will continue on Wednesday,  and Europe and Africa will take place on Thursday. The Islands will finish off the week.

Senior Kamila Orlova, the European and African chair, said that I-Week, COISO’s oldest tradition, will provide students the opportunity to share their cultures with the campus and the community.

“My hope and goal is to make International Week 2015 becomes a sort of a Disney tour around the countries of the world, which the entire University will be looking forward to every following year,” Orlova said.

Justina Coronel

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...