Stop crowd stands from becoming ghost towns

It’s around 8 p.m. Thursday. WVUM Sports Director AJ Ricketts stands courtside in Madison Square Garden, the mecca of basketball, where Spike Lee comes to eat his feelings and think about his Knicks’ woes.

Only one hour remains until the start of Rickett’s final Hurricanes basketball broadcast: the National Invitational Tournament championship (NIT).

“We heard [the team]yelling from the locker room and we were courtside,” the senior texted me from the hardwood. “Michael Irvin just fired them up with a speech.”

Clearly, the Canes in the Big Apple were brimming with enthusiasm. But what about the students on campus?

The NIT isn’t exactly the most coveted destination for those seeking playoff glory. In fact, it’s often seen as the consolation bracket for those who didn’t qualify for the main attraction: the NCAA Tournament. If the latter is the Big Dance, then the NIT is “Crank That (Soulja Boy).”

However, at the same time, reaching the final game in a field of 32 is always impressive, especially for a young team with only one player remaining from the group that led UM to the “Sweet 16” just two years prior.

So, where does that leave us as students and fans? Should we be proud that our basketball team made it to the climax of the Florida State University of tournaments?

“I was really proud they made it all the way to New York,” said sophomore Isabella, who did not disclose her full name for fear of backlash. “They’ve gotten somewhere, which is better than doing nothing.”

That’s a valid point. I respect her mentality. Next time my parents call and ask why I’m not studying, I’ll just say: “Ma, binge watching ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ is better than doing nothing.”

But other students were not as enthusiastic.

“Someone asked what I was doing at 9 p.m. and I said I don’t know,” said Alexandra Hopkins-Slayton, a sports administration major. “I said I’d keep a lookout on Twitter.”

But it might have been hard to keep track of the tournament via social media, considering that the NCAA’s official Twitter account never tweeted about the NIT the entire week.

The NCAA did post Friday about the most recent Division I golf rankings, so maybe there was just too much breaking news to cover it.

Additionally, our football team produced a lousy 6-7 record with a team so talented that it might donate three players to the first round of the NFL draft. But our hoops squad finished with 12 games over a 0.500 win percentage – so where’s the love? One of the NIT games against Alabama was actually played on campus, and it barely yielded the number of attendees that would fill an intense fraternity-intramural game.

“People only go to the football games for the tailgates,” said another student who wished to remain anonymous. “Students just want to get drunk.”

Silly campus planners. They should have factored in alcoholic freedom as an incentive to increase attendance at the BUC. I mean, the Rat can only give out so many wristbands.

Regardless of location or tailgate opportunities, demonstrating school spirit should hold some precedence over those luxuries, even if it’s not for flagship tournaments.

Because, at the end of the day, it’s still better than doing nothing.

Danny New is a sophomore majoring in broadcast journalism. “The Maturity Column” runs alternating Mondays.

Danny New

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...