Baseball, Sports

Collins’ three-hit night helps Canes baseball breeze by Bethune-Cookman

Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Junior third baseman David Thompson prepares to swing in the Hurricanes’ 13-3 win over Bethune-Cookman Wednesday night. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Guided by an explosive offensive output, the Miami Hurricanes earned a 13-3 win Wednesday evening against Bethune-Cookman.

The Hurricanes (21-9, 8-4 ACC) beat the Wildcats (11-22, 9-3) in the game of a nine-game homestand.

Danny Garcia earned the win for the Canes, his fifth of the season, while Donte Lindsay took the loss for Bethune-Cookman. The Canes scored early and often, as the Bethune-Cookman pitchers struggled to stop the Canes offense; Miami scored in all but two innings.

The Canes opened up the offense when Zack Collins ripped an RBI double to right field and Willie Abreu knocked him in with a 2 RBI single in the bottom of the first to give the Canes a 3-0 lead.

Bethune-Cookman’s Mijon Cummings responded with a home run in the top of the 3rd to make it a 3-1 game. Both teams traded runs in the bottom of the 3rd and top of the 4th. James Edney had an RBI double in the top of the 5th to keep the Wildcats in the game and make it a 4-3 contest.

However, that was as close as it would get for the rest of the night. In the bottom of the 5th, the Canes exploded for six runs. Garrett Kennedy broke the game open with a bases-loaded 2-RBI double.

The Canes scored three more runs in the game and ended the game with 13 hits. The Canes had no trouble hitting Bethune-Cookman starter Donte Lindsay, tagging him for four runs in 2.2 innings of work.

Danny Garcia had a solid outing for Miami despite giving up two solo home runs, pitching five innings, giving up three runs on seven hits, while also striking out seven.

Miami was aided with seven walks and three BCU errors. Zack Collins led the offensive explosion, going 3-4 with two RBI’s and three runs scored, his first three-hit game of the season.

The Canes will now prepare for an important ACC Coastal series at Alex Rodriguez Park as Duke comes into town this weekend for a three-game series.

Matt Walter

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...