Baseball, Sports

Collins’ three-hit night helps Canes baseball breeze by Bethune-Cookman

Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Junior third baseman David Thompson prepares to swing in the Hurricanes’ 13-3 win over Bethune-Cookman Wednesday night. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Guided by an explosive offensive output, the Miami Hurricanes earned a 13-3 win Wednesday evening against Bethune-Cookman.

The Hurricanes (21-9, 8-4 ACC) beat the Wildcats (11-22, 9-3) in the game of a nine-game homestand.

Danny Garcia earned the win for the Canes, his fifth of the season, while Donte Lindsay took the loss for Bethune-Cookman. The Canes scored early and often, as the Bethune-Cookman pitchers struggled to stop the Canes offense; Miami scored in all but two innings.

The Canes opened up the offense when Zack Collins ripped an RBI double to right field and Willie Abreu knocked him in with a 2 RBI single in the bottom of the first to give the Canes a 3-0 lead.

Bethune-Cookman’s Mijon Cummings responded with a home run in the top of the 3rd to make it a 3-1 game. Both teams traded runs in the bottom of the 3rd and top of the 4th. James Edney had an RBI double in the top of the 5th to keep the Wildcats in the game and make it a 4-3 contest.

However, that was as close as it would get for the rest of the night. In the bottom of the 5th, the Canes exploded for six runs. Garrett Kennedy broke the game open with a bases-loaded 2-RBI double.

The Canes scored three more runs in the game and ended the game with 13 hits. The Canes had no trouble hitting Bethune-Cookman starter Donte Lindsay, tagging him for four runs in 2.2 innings of work.

Danny Garcia had a solid outing for Miami despite giving up two solo home runs, pitching five innings, giving up three runs on seven hits, while also striking out seven.

Miami was aided with seven walks and three BCU errors. Zack Collins led the offensive explosion, going 3-4 with two RBI’s and three runs scored, his first three-hit game of the season.

The Canes will now prepare for an important ACC Coastal series at Alex Rodriguez Park as Duke comes into town this weekend for a three-game series.

Matt Walter

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...