Baseball, Sports

Collins’ three-hit night helps Canes baseball breeze by Bethune-Cookman

Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Junior third baseman David Thompson prepares to swing in the Hurricanes’ 13-3 win over Bethune-Cookman Wednesday night. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Guided by an explosive offensive output, the Miami Hurricanes earned a 13-3 win Wednesday evening against Bethune-Cookman.

The Hurricanes (21-9, 8-4 ACC) beat the Wildcats (11-22, 9-3) in the game of a nine-game homestand.

Danny Garcia earned the win for the Canes, his fifth of the season, while Donte Lindsay took the loss for Bethune-Cookman. The Canes scored early and often, as the Bethune-Cookman pitchers struggled to stop the Canes offense; Miami scored in all but two innings.

The Canes opened up the offense when Zack Collins ripped an RBI double to right field and Willie Abreu knocked him in with a 2 RBI single in the bottom of the first to give the Canes a 3-0 lead.

Bethune-Cookman’s Mijon Cummings responded with a home run in the top of the 3rd to make it a 3-1 game. Both teams traded runs in the bottom of the 3rd and top of the 4th. James Edney had an RBI double in the top of the 5th to keep the Wildcats in the game and make it a 4-3 contest.

However, that was as close as it would get for the rest of the night. In the bottom of the 5th, the Canes exploded for six runs. Garrett Kennedy broke the game open with a bases-loaded 2-RBI double.

The Canes scored three more runs in the game and ended the game with 13 hits. The Canes had no trouble hitting Bethune-Cookman starter Donte Lindsay, tagging him for four runs in 2.2 innings of work.

Danny Garcia had a solid outing for Miami despite giving up two solo home runs, pitching five innings, giving up three runs on seven hits, while also striking out seven.

Miami was aided with seven walks and three BCU errors. Zack Collins led the offensive explosion, going 3-4 with two RBI’s and three runs scored, his first three-hit game of the season.

The Canes will now prepare for an important ACC Coastal series at Alex Rodriguez Park as Duke comes into town this weekend for a three-game series.

Matt Walter

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...