Edge, Theater

Carbonell Awards show celebrates South Florida’s stage stars

A night filled with drama may not be everyone’s ideal evening, but Monday night’s Carbonell Awards show was filled with a cast of characters that would rival any play.

During the 39th annual ceremony, the spotlight shone on South Florida’s theater community to recognize more than 20 individuals for outstanding artistic achievement and development of the region.

The University of Miami was represented by alumna Mariand Torres, who won Best Supporting Actress in a Musical for her role as the narrator in “Murder Ballad” at the Actors’ Playhouse. The show, which ran from Oct. 8 to Nov. 2, also won Best Ensemble and Best Supporting Actor in a Musical for Chris Crawford’s performance of Tom.

See more: Rock opera breaks boundaries

During the fall semester, the university’s Department of Theatre Arts collaborated with the Adrienne Arsht Center on the production “Peter and the Starcatcher.” The show featured 10 students working alongside two professional actors, including alumnus Nicholas Richberg.

The production took home the award for Best Scenic Design by Yoshinori Tanokura and Best Lighting Design by Eric Haugen.

Nicholas Richberg as the pirate Blackstache (top right) and the cast of "Peter and the Starcatcher." // Photo Courtesy Justin Namon

Nicholas Richberg as the pirate Blackstache (top right) and the cast of “Peter and the Starcatcher.” // Photo Courtesy Justin Namon

Richberg was nominated for Best Actor in a Musical for Zoetic Stage’s “Assassins” and won the award for Best Actor in a Play for his role as the pirate Blackstache in “Peter and the Starcatcher.”

Richberg is “especially happy” about that nomination because he wanted to represent all the students involved with the show because they worked “very hard,” he said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane.

“They may still be in school, but when we were on the stage together, everyone of them was 100 percent a professional,” Richberg said. “We were all equals on that stage. I was proud to share the stage with them every night.”

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...