Sports, Tennis

Virginia games bring Miami women’s tennis one loss, one win

During a two-match weekend, the Hurricanes walked away with a decisive 5-2 victory over UVA and a heartbreaking 4-3 loss against Virginia Tech.

The first match, against UVA on Friday, was Miami’s second away win against a top-10 team.

“We fought our tails off for almost seven hours to bring this one in, and I couldn’t be any prouder of this group,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told Hurricanesports.com. “We’ve made some minor changes these past few weeks and they paid off today.”

Miami’s Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno teamed up with other doubles duo Lina Lileikite and Wendy Zhang to pull out wins to earn the doubles point.

Junior Stephanie Wagner had a rare loss, but was avenged when teammate Sinead Lohan pulled out an impressive win over UVA’s Danielle Collins. The win over Collins, who is ranked No. 31 and is last year’s winner of the 2014 NCAA Singles Championship, was the second-highest ranked win of Lohan’s career.

On Sunday, Miami pulled away early with a three-match sweep to clinch the doubles point. The singles matches split down the middle — Lileikite made quick work of her opponent, and Zhang fought back to win a three-setter.

In the end, the match came down to Wagner, who fought back with a 7-5 win in the second set after a 6-3 loss in the first, but dropped the final set, 6-3.

This past weekend marked the final month of conference play, and the next three weeks will entail more back-to-back matches.

Next weekend, the Hurricanes host both No. 17 Duke and No. 2 North Carolina, and the weekend after, travel to the Midwest to take on Notre Dame and Louisville. The team will wrap up the regular season by hosting rival Florida State and Pittsburgh April 18 and 19.

The Hurricanes will take on Duke at 5 p.m. Thursday, April 2 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Alexa Pappas

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...