Sports, Tennis

Virginia games bring Miami women’s tennis one loss, one win

During a two-match weekend, the Hurricanes walked away with a decisive 5-2 victory over UVA and a heartbreaking 4-3 loss against Virginia Tech.

The first match, against UVA on Friday, was Miami’s second away win against a top-10 team.

“We fought our tails off for almost seven hours to bring this one in, and I couldn’t be any prouder of this group,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told Hurricanesports.com. “We’ve made some minor changes these past few weeks and they paid off today.”

Miami’s Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno teamed up with other doubles duo Lina Lileikite and Wendy Zhang to pull out wins to earn the doubles point.

Junior Stephanie Wagner had a rare loss, but was avenged when teammate Sinead Lohan pulled out an impressive win over UVA’s Danielle Collins. The win over Collins, who is ranked No. 31 and is last year’s winner of the 2014 NCAA Singles Championship, was the second-highest ranked win of Lohan’s career.

On Sunday, Miami pulled away early with a three-match sweep to clinch the doubles point. The singles matches split down the middle — Lileikite made quick work of her opponent, and Zhang fought back to win a three-setter.

In the end, the match came down to Wagner, who fought back with a 7-5 win in the second set after a 6-3 loss in the first, but dropped the final set, 6-3.

This past weekend marked the final month of conference play, and the next three weeks will entail more back-to-back matches.

Next weekend, the Hurricanes host both No. 17 Duke and No. 2 North Carolina, and the weekend after, travel to the Midwest to take on Notre Dame and Louisville. The team will wrap up the regular season by hosting rival Florida State and Pittsburgh April 18 and 19.

The Hurricanes will take on Duke at 5 p.m. Thursday, April 2 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Alexa Pappas

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...