Sports, Tennis

Virginia games bring Miami women’s tennis one loss, one win

During a two-match weekend, the Hurricanes walked away with a decisive 5-2 victory over UVA and a heartbreaking 4-3 loss against Virginia Tech.

The first match, against UVA on Friday, was Miami’s second away win against a top-10 team.

“We fought our tails off for almost seven hours to bring this one in, and I couldn’t be any prouder of this group,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told Hurricanesports.com. “We’ve made some minor changes these past few weeks and they paid off today.”

Miami’s Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno teamed up with other doubles duo Lina Lileikite and Wendy Zhang to pull out wins to earn the doubles point.

Junior Stephanie Wagner had a rare loss, but was avenged when teammate Sinead Lohan pulled out an impressive win over UVA’s Danielle Collins. The win over Collins, who is ranked No. 31 and is last year’s winner of the 2014 NCAA Singles Championship, was the second-highest ranked win of Lohan’s career.

On Sunday, Miami pulled away early with a three-match sweep to clinch the doubles point. The singles matches split down the middle — Lileikite made quick work of her opponent, and Zhang fought back to win a three-setter.

In the end, the match came down to Wagner, who fought back with a 7-5 win in the second set after a 6-3 loss in the first, but dropped the final set, 6-3.

This past weekend marked the final month of conference play, and the next three weeks will entail more back-to-back matches.

Next weekend, the Hurricanes host both No. 17 Duke and No. 2 North Carolina, and the weekend after, travel to the Midwest to take on Notre Dame and Louisville. The team will wrap up the regular season by hosting rival Florida State and Pittsburgh April 18 and 19.

The Hurricanes will take on Duke at 5 p.m. Thursday, April 2 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Alexa Pappas

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...