Sports, Swimming/Diving

Senior Sam Dorman dives into record books

Sam Dorman finished his career with a national championship in the 3M dive / Courtesy JC Ridley / Miami Athletics

Sam Dorman finished his career with a national championship in the 3M dive. Photo courtesy JC Ridley / Miami Athletics

Senior diver Sam Dorman capped off his five-year career by breaking the NCAA 3-meter springboard diving record with 529.10 points in his final competition as a Hurricane.

The achievement took place at the NCAA Division I Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday night.

Dorman ran away with the contest tallying at least 80 points on each of his first five dives. A forward four-and-a-half somersault tuck on his fifth dive earned Dorman 102.6 points and left him just 43 points away from the meet record set in the preliminaries earlier in the day by Indiana freshman James Connor, who finished fourth in the finals.

“I was in the zone,” Dorman said. “I did all my dives in warm-ups and I just tried to stay in the same zone.”

Dorman pulled off a reverse one-and-a-half somersault with three-and-a-half twists for his final dive for 75 points, breaking the previous record by more than 30 points.

“He’s always had the ability but he’s been extremely inconsistent,” Hurricanes diving coach Randy Ableman said. “This is really sweet redemption for a lot of hard work and a lot of rough times and disappointments. To finally come through in his last event as a senior … And he won because he was the most consistent.”

The win was especially joyful for Ableman who was a four-time All-America diver and NCAA champion at Iowa. “When they put the NCAAs here I was like, ‘Oh wow, you’re kidding,’” Ableman said.

Dorman finished ahead of 2014 champion Michael Hixon of Indiana and 2013 champion Kristian Ipsen of Stanford, who placed second and third, respectively.

Mark Singer

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...