Sports, Swimming/Diving

Senior Sam Dorman dives into record books

Sam Dorman finished his career with a national championship in the 3M dive / Courtesy JC Ridley / Miami Athletics

Sam Dorman finished his career with a national championship in the 3M dive. Photo courtesy JC Ridley / Miami Athletics

Senior diver Sam Dorman capped off his five-year career by breaking the NCAA 3-meter springboard diving record with 529.10 points in his final competition as a Hurricane.

The achievement took place at the NCAA Division I Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday night.

Dorman ran away with the contest tallying at least 80 points on each of his first five dives. A forward four-and-a-half somersault tuck on his fifth dive earned Dorman 102.6 points and left him just 43 points away from the meet record set in the preliminaries earlier in the day by Indiana freshman James Connor, who finished fourth in the finals.

“I was in the zone,” Dorman said. “I did all my dives in warm-ups and I just tried to stay in the same zone.”

Dorman pulled off a reverse one-and-a-half somersault with three-and-a-half twists for his final dive for 75 points, breaking the previous record by more than 30 points.

“He’s always had the ability but he’s been extremely inconsistent,” Hurricanes diving coach Randy Ableman said. “This is really sweet redemption for a lot of hard work and a lot of rough times and disappointments. To finally come through in his last event as a senior … And he won because he was the most consistent.”

The win was especially joyful for Ableman who was a four-time All-America diver and NCAA champion at Iowa. “When they put the NCAAs here I was like, ‘Oh wow, you’re kidding,’” Ableman said.

Dorman finished ahead of 2014 champion Michael Hixon of Indiana and 2013 champion Kristian Ipsen of Stanford, who placed second and third, respectively.

Mark Singer

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...