Sports, Swimming/Diving

Senior Sam Dorman dives into record books

Sam Dorman finished his career with a national championship in the 3M dive / Courtesy JC Ridley / Miami Athletics

Sam Dorman finished his career with a national championship in the 3M dive. Photo courtesy JC Ridley / Miami Athletics

Senior diver Sam Dorman capped off his five-year career by breaking the NCAA 3-meter springboard diving record with 529.10 points in his final competition as a Hurricane.

The achievement took place at the NCAA Division I Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday night.

Dorman ran away with the contest tallying at least 80 points on each of his first five dives. A forward four-and-a-half somersault tuck on his fifth dive earned Dorman 102.6 points and left him just 43 points away from the meet record set in the preliminaries earlier in the day by Indiana freshman James Connor, who finished fourth in the finals.

“I was in the zone,” Dorman said. “I did all my dives in warm-ups and I just tried to stay in the same zone.”

Dorman pulled off a reverse one-and-a-half somersault with three-and-a-half twists for his final dive for 75 points, breaking the previous record by more than 30 points.

“He’s always had the ability but he’s been extremely inconsistent,” Hurricanes diving coach Randy Ableman said. “This is really sweet redemption for a lot of hard work and a lot of rough times and disappointments. To finally come through in his last event as a senior … And he won because he was the most consistent.”

The win was especially joyful for Ableman who was a four-time All-America diver and NCAA champion at Iowa. “When they put the NCAAs here I was like, ‘Oh wow, you’re kidding,’” Ableman said.

Dorman finished ahead of 2014 champion Michael Hixon of Indiana and 2013 champion Kristian Ipsen of Stanford, who placed second and third, respectively.

Mark Singer

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...