Republican nominee Ted Cruz’s aggression targets demographic

Sen. Ted Cruz has been making headlines on his trek to become the Republican nominee for the 2016 presidential election.

Cruz’s tactics are abnormally overt for a potential candidate, spreading what can best be described as fire and brimstone political sermonizing across the country. His words and demeanor aren’t just authoritative or passionate, they’re practically ecclesiastical.

This approach says a lot about the current dispositions and the potential future of the extreme conservative right. While Cruz’s strategy may seem off-putting and baffling to many, there is a carefully calculated set of tactics backing his words. His politicized, Baptist preacher shtick may prove to have more solid footing than his critics give him credit for.

“The world is on fire!” Cruz declared a few weeks ago at a speech in Barrington, New Hampshire. This statement, though clearly hyperbolic, reduces Cruz’s platform to “The world is crashing down, but I can help you save it,” in a nutshell.

Factually speaking, such a statement is ridiculous at face value and Cruz surely knows this. His use of extreme, pseudo-biblical apocalyptic terminology is not flippant or unintentional. On the contrary, it’s the cornerstone of his brand.

Cruz’s entire platform is based on fear calculated to lean deep into the gratuitously misinformed presumptions of his hardcore conservative audience.

For a while now, a particular breed of conservative has become one of the central pillars of Republican support: an almost uniformly white, middle-to-upper class Christian contingent that has been on the retreat in recent years, losing ideological battles on multiple fronts including the “fight for marriage,” reproductive rights and racial issues.

Time and time again, the general cultural consensus is siding against the ultraconservative ideology, and this trend is only rising.

My criticism of Cruz’s rhetoric isn’t a statement about religion or Anglo-Saxon culture in any broad sense. This is about religion as a cultural norm that survives simply because its followers have made a point of hiding themselves from ideas that could subvert what they’ve found convenient to believe.

Amid an environment of fear and panic, the ultraconservative masses crave a savior figure to deliver them from a perceived apocalypse. This is the figure that Sen. Cruz is presenting himself as.

To what degree Cruz believes his own alarmist tactics is a mystery, but it matters not if the politician believes his sermons (and, in this case, I would guess that he doesn’t). What matters is that he can sell them.

What may seem like lunacy on the surface is a well-strategized appeal to a demographic that is fervent enough to make a desperate political bid in their direction well worth it. By tapping this nerve with focus and precision, Cruz could very well gain traction where previous, less disciplined alarmists (the incoherent antics of Sarah Palin come to mind) have slipped and fallen.

Whether Cruz will succeed or not remains to be seen. He’d have to mellow considerably by election time to successfully broaden his appeal, but the support of a panicked, aggressive minority is not to be underestimated.

Cruz will spend the next year and a half attempting to ride this wave of fear mongering and zealous militancy in the hopes that he will launch himself into the White House.

Andrew Allen is a sophomore majoring in communications.

Featured image courtesy Gage Skidmore via Flickr

Andrew Allen

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...