News Briefs 3/30

NEWS_CommuterDateNight_VM

Senior Danny Diaz and sophomore Santiago Massa dance it out as Danny is auctioned away for a date during the Commuter Week Charity Date Auction held at the Rathskeller Thursday. All the proceeds went to the American Cancer Society. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Health Outreach Peer Educator

Health Outreach Peer Educators (HOPE) are looking for students interested in being part of the program. HOPE members are trained to teach fellow students about pertinent health issues. Those interested will have the opportunity to learn about sexual health, relationships, hazing, discrimination, stress, time management, gambling and more. To apply, visit Miami.edu/healthed. The deadline is April 2.

The UMazing Race

Commuter students and residents living on campus will compete with one another in field day-like activities. The event will begin at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the Intramural Fields near the Hecht and Stanford residential colleges. Student Government’s Freshmen Leadership Council created the initiative to help students bond. Student Government will provide dinner for participants, and the event is free for all students. To register for the race, visit tinyurl.com/UmazingRace.

Media Meet-Up

Students are invited to network at the Communication and Interactive Media Meet-Up to meet employers in communication, advertising, broadcast, media, journalism and graphic design fields. Appetizers will be served at the event, and professional attire is required. The meet-up is free for all students and lasts from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday at the School of Communication Courtyard. For more information, visit HireACane.com.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alina Zerpa

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...