News Briefs 3/30

NEWS_CommuterDateNight_VM

Senior Danny Diaz and sophomore Santiago Massa dance it out as Danny is auctioned away for a date during the Commuter Week Charity Date Auction held at the Rathskeller Thursday. All the proceeds went to the American Cancer Society. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Health Outreach Peer Educator

Health Outreach Peer Educators (HOPE) are looking for students interested in being part of the program. HOPE members are trained to teach fellow students about pertinent health issues. Those interested will have the opportunity to learn about sexual health, relationships, hazing, discrimination, stress, time management, gambling and more. To apply, visit Miami.edu/healthed. The deadline is April 2.

The UMazing Race

Commuter students and residents living on campus will compete with one another in field day-like activities. The event will begin at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the Intramural Fields near the Hecht and Stanford residential colleges. Student Government’s Freshmen Leadership Council created the initiative to help students bond. Student Government will provide dinner for participants, and the event is free for all students. To register for the race, visit tinyurl.com/UmazingRace.

Media Meet-Up

Students are invited to network at the Communication and Interactive Media Meet-Up to meet employers in communication, advertising, broadcast, media, journalism and graphic design fields. Appetizers will be served at the event, and professional attire is required. The meet-up is free for all students and lasts from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday at the School of Communication Courtyard. For more information, visit HireACane.com.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alina Zerpa

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...