Culture

Edge Briefs 3/30

‘New Jerusalem’

The Miller Center and GableStage will present a special performance of David Ives’ play “New Jerusalem” at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The production focuses on the interrogation of Baruch de Spinoza, a philosopher accused of atheism at Talmud Torah Congregation, Amsterdam in 1656.

After the show, Professor Haim Shaked, director of the Miller Center and the George Feldenkreis Program, will moderate a discussion about philosophy and politics. Tickets are $18 for students and $36 for non-students. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at GableStage on 1200 Anastasia Ave. in Coral Gables. For more information, call 305-284-6882 or email acassinera@miami.edu.

Season Finale Concert

The Society of Composers, Inc. will perform its season finale concert at 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Clarke Recital Hall. The concert will feature new music by Frost School of Music composers and Shawn Crouch as the director.  Admission is free.

Lowedown

On the first Thursday of the month, the Lowe Art Museum hosts Lowedown Happy Hour. From 7-9 p.m. guests can enjoy a guided tour of the special exhibition “Weavers’ Stories from Island Southeast Asia.” Food and beverages will be provided. Admission is $10 and free for Lowe members.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas