Culture

Edge Briefs 3/30

‘New Jerusalem’

The Miller Center and GableStage will present a special performance of David Ives’ play “New Jerusalem” at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The production focuses on the interrogation of Baruch de Spinoza, a philosopher accused of atheism at Talmud Torah Congregation, Amsterdam in 1656.

After the show, Professor Haim Shaked, director of the Miller Center and the George Feldenkreis Program, will moderate a discussion about philosophy and politics. Tickets are $18 for students and $36 for non-students. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at GableStage on 1200 Anastasia Ave. in Coral Gables. For more information, call 305-284-6882 or email acassinera@miami.edu.

Season Finale Concert

The Society of Composers, Inc. will perform its season finale concert at 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Clarke Recital Hall. The concert will feature new music by Frost School of Music composers and Shawn Crouch as the director.  Admission is free.

Lowedown

On the first Thursday of the month, the Lowe Art Museum hosts Lowedown Happy Hour. From 7-9 p.m. guests can enjoy a guided tour of the special exhibition “Weavers’ Stories from Island Southeast Asia.” Food and beverages will be provided. Admission is $10 and free for Lowe members.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...