News, Photo

Vigil celebrates the life of Aurora Ephraim

NEWS_Vigil2_SC

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

On Thursday night, family, friends and administrators gathered to share stories and celebrate the life of Aurora Ephraim, a 20-year-old junior who passed away on March 15.

Ephraim was a physics major from New Jersey and involved on campus with organizations including the American Society of Civil Engineers, National Organization for Women at UM (NOW), Scientifica magazine, and UPride, the LGBTQ organization.

“I speak for most of us here that this week and a half has been hard,” junior Diego Patrimonio said. “Being here all together, sharing in each other’s silence, sharing in each other’s moments for Aurora, who we all love.”

Reverend Beth Bostrom; Patricia Whitely; Joshua Cohn, the chair of the physics department; and Ephraim’s mother spoke about her at the vigil. Many of her friends shared stories of the impact she made on their lives as well.

“She was a strong character through and through. … Whenever I had a crisis in my life, she was there to help me through it,” Patrimonio said. “We always had the best conversations. … I’m extremely lucky to have had her in my life.”

NEWS_Vigil_SC

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Tyler Katz shared about Aurora’s confidence when she went around campus telling people “how pretty she was.”

“We went through the UC and around campus, running to people telling them how pretty she was,” Katz said. “I finally got to my meeting, and the first thing I say is, ‘Tell Aurora how pretty she is’ and her bubbliness and confidence and full of energy and life, I will never forget that.”

According to Katz, the vigil helped the community remember the positive things about Ephraim and the impact she had on those who knew her.

“She made me feel good about myself… always confident and strong in her opinions,” Katz said. “She impacted me by being a wonderful friends toward me and by brightening up my day.”

University chaplains as well as the Counseling Center (305-284-5511) are available to assist students.

Alina Zerpa

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...