Edge, Music, Ultra

10 must-see DJs at Ultra Music Festival

It’s that time of year again — the weekend that draws people from all over the globe to downtown Miami. From March 27-29, Miami transforms into a haven for thousands of electronic dance music (EDM) fans. There will be plenty of dancing and bass, but not a lot of clothes.

The Miami Hurricane compiled a list of top 10 must-see DJ’s performing at this year’s Ultra Music Festival (UMF), including legends and newcomers you won’t want to miss.

Tiesto
What is a must-see DJ list without Tiesto? Making the transition from trance to house music, this EDM legend has seen his career and musical style grow tremendously. From his performance at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, to headlining all the top global festivals including Ultra, Tiesto is without a doubt a must-see performance. During last year’s UMF performance, Tiesto gave his fans a blend of updates on his classic originals, such as “Escape Me” and “Feel It In My Bones,” and even dropped a little trap. The man does it all and is sure to offer an upbeat set with a top-tier light show.

Tiesto is slated for a 11 p.m. set Friday at the main stage.

Carl Cox
Whether you’re new to the EDM scene or a seasoned professional, British house and techno DJ Carl Cox is an Ultra classic. Carl Cox & Friends will celebrate their 11-year anniversary of being on stage at Ultra this year.

Carl Cox is performing Friday at 10 p.m.

MakJ
Maybe you learned of MakJ when DJ Mag’s No. 1-ranked DJ in the world, Hardwell, dropped MakJ’s remix of “All Gold Everything” by Trinidad James. Or maybe you’re just a fan of progressive house. Either way, catching MakJ live is a treat that you won’t want to miss.

MakJ is scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday at the Ultra Japan Stage.

Hardwell
Speaking of which, Hardwell proved that he is a worthy must-see DJ when he held onto his ranking as the No. 1 DJ two years in a row after fans voted for him. Born and raised in Breda, Netherlands, the same small town as EDM godfather Tiesto, it’s safe to there is something special in their town’s water.

Hardwell will be live at 9:55 p.m. on the Main Stage Saturday.

Marco Carola
If you missed his 12-week residency at Story nightclub on South Beach, then here’s your chance to see Italian DJ Marco Carloa spin live. During his set, you can be guaranteed techno beats and a fun live performance.

Marco Carola will perform Friday at 8pm at the Carl Cox & Friends stage.

Galantis
The Swedish electronic music duo Galantis is quickly becoming a new favorite among the global EDM community. They’ve received support from Tiesto and Pete Tong. They also collaborated with Dillion Francis and Kaskade, who even remixed some of their songs. If you enjoy electro house, progressive house or alternative dance, this is a duo to look into.

Galantis is set to perform 5 p.m. Saturday at the Ultra Japan Stage. 

Kygo
Within the last year, it seems as though 23-year-old Kygo has been the DJ name on everyone’s lips — partially due to his remix of “I See Fire” by Ed Sheeran. If you want to see the hype around his tropical house remixes, check him out on the Live Stage this year.

Kygo’s set time is 10 p.m. Sunday at the Live Stage.

Ansolo
Who is Ansolo? Yeah, we asked ourselves the same question. But a quick online search shows it’s actually actor Ansel Elgort – you know, the lead of “The Fault in Our Stars” and “Divergent.” If you want to find out if Augustus Waters can actually spin, check him out on Saturday after Vicetone on the Main Stage.

Ansolo will take the stage 2:30 p.m. Saturday on the Main Stage.

Nicky Romero
Whether you or your friends are into a big room, electro house or even progressive, you all can enjoy Romero’s sets. This Dutch DJ has the support of his predecessors (Tiesto, Fedde Le Grand, Sander van Doorn) and newer artists such as Calvin Harris, Avicii and fellow countryman Hardwell.

Nicky is performing at 5:40 p.m. Sunday on the Main Stage.

Cashmere Cat
He is a part-time producer for guys like Kanye, Miguel and Wiz Khalifa, and part-time DJ at European, Australian, and U.S. nightclubs and festivals. If his talent is good enough for Wiz, then it’s good enough for us. Expect to hear hip hop, pop and electronica mixes.

Cashmere Cat will perform 7 p.m. Sunday at the Ultra Worldwide Stage.​

Nicole Saunders

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...