Campus Life, News

Dancing ‘stars’ to light the night with talent

Seniors Christel Wekon-Kemeni and Katerina Constantinou on UMTV's Pulse speaking about their preparation experience for the Dancing With the UMiami Stars event that will take place on Friday.

Seniors Christel Wekon-Kemeni and Katerina Constantinou on UMTV’s Pulse speaking about their preparation experience for the Dancing With the UMiami Stars event that will take place on Friday.

Talent aplenty thrives at the University of Miami, and the Dancing With The UMiami Stars event will give known UM students and faculty the opportunity to showcase some of their dancing abilities.

Dancing With the UMiami Stars is an annual dance competition that pairs UM faculty or students with members of the Miami Ballroom Club to perform choreographed pieces. The UM “stars” are nominated by their peers and are chosen according to the number of “likes” they get during a social media voting period.

Senior Christel Wekon-Kemeni was one of the chosen stars, and has been working hard to learn what it takes to tango and foxtrot. He will be one of the ten competitors that will perform to a panel of previous “stars,” dancers and known members of the UM community.

“Preparing for this event has been really challenging because I have no dance experience,” said Wekon-Kemeni, who said his only dancing experience includes stepping for his fraternity. “My partner and I have put in a lot of time practicing and I’m really proud of our routine. The amount of support I’ve received has been overwhelming and I’m honored to be a part of this event.”

Wekon-Kemeni’s partner, senior Katerina Constantinou, has four years of dancing experience, something that proves to be useful when choreographing routines for the competition. Constantinou explained that though there are judged categories in the competition, participants have their eyes on the most important of all – crowd favorite.

“I appreciate how willing my partner has been to meet frequently with me,” Constantinou said. “Our goal for the event is to win most popular by the crowd’s applause, so we’re trying to get a lot of people to come and support us.”

In order to win, numerous participants must put in hours of weekly, and sometimes daily, rehearsals with their partners. Competitors choreographed the routines and collaborated chose the songs and styles of their performances.

“We always want to make the process as fun and enjoyable for the stars as we can, so choosing dance styles and songs they are excited about is crucial,” said Juliet Fairbrother, co-captain of the Miami Ballroom Performance Team. “It’s more about the stars than us.”

Fairbrother explained that this is the fifth year the event has been taking place and that, while previous installments have been centered around a theme, this year’s competition has been left more open-ended.

“This year we decided not to have a theme, as it allows for more freedom in choreography and song choice to create dances that the stars and team members are excited to perform,” Fairbrother said.

Choreographies will be separated into Latin and ballroom styles such as salsa and the foxtrot. Though these are unprecedented dance types for many of the UM “stars,” their dedication to learn will result in great performances, according to Fairbrother.

“Preparing for this event has been really challenging because I have no dance experience,” said sophomore and “star” Jake Kaplan. “My partner and I have put in a lot of time practicing and I’m really proud of our routine. The amount of support I’ve received has been overwhelming and I’m honored to be a part of this event.”

The Dancing With the UMiami Stars competition will take place at 8 p.m. Friday at the Rock.

Sophie Barros

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.