Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis continues reign on court

Last weekend, the Hurricanes women’s tennis team handled the NC State Wolfpack with ease, delivering them a 6-1 beating at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The ITA ranked them at No. 16 in the country a few days later. As a cherry on top of a stellar weekend, junior Stephanie Wagner clocked in at No. 6 in both the singles and doubles rankings, posting the highest ranking she has had at Miami.

“The girls rebounded well; we had a tough loss on the road, so it was nice to get back out here at home and get that out of our system,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told HurricaneSports. “We have been playing some good tennis and our toughest matches are in front of us, so we need to keep it up.”

Apart from Wagner, the freshmen have also stepped up majorly for Miami. Wendy Zhang is ranked No. 96 after only having played a half-season thus far.

Last weekend, both Silvia Fuentes and Sinead Lohan pulled out wins in singles competition. If the freshmen continue to deliver at the same rate as the veterans, Miami will be able to compete with stronger teams.

This weekend, the Hurricanes face their latest challenge in the No. 8-ranked Virginia Cavaliers. Miami is 6-0 against ACC opponents, but have yet to face as strong a team as UVA.

This weekend kicks off a series of tougher challenges in the ACC, with back-to-back matches against Duke and previously No. 1 UNC in two weeks. Miami is one of five ACC teams in the top 25, so every match matters for the Hurricanes’ chances in the ACC Championships.

The Hurricanes take on the Cavaliers at 3:30 p.m. this Friday in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Alexa Pappas

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...