Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis continues reign on court

Last weekend, the Hurricanes women’s tennis team handled the NC State Wolfpack with ease, delivering them a 6-1 beating at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The ITA ranked them at No. 16 in the country a few days later. As a cherry on top of a stellar weekend, junior Stephanie Wagner clocked in at No. 6 in both the singles and doubles rankings, posting the highest ranking she has had at Miami.

“The girls rebounded well; we had a tough loss on the road, so it was nice to get back out here at home and get that out of our system,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told HurricaneSports. “We have been playing some good tennis and our toughest matches are in front of us, so we need to keep it up.”

Apart from Wagner, the freshmen have also stepped up majorly for Miami. Wendy Zhang is ranked No. 96 after only having played a half-season thus far.

Last weekend, both Silvia Fuentes and Sinead Lohan pulled out wins in singles competition. If the freshmen continue to deliver at the same rate as the veterans, Miami will be able to compete with stronger teams.

This weekend, the Hurricanes face their latest challenge in the No. 8-ranked Virginia Cavaliers. Miami is 6-0 against ACC opponents, but have yet to face as strong a team as UVA.

This weekend kicks off a series of tougher challenges in the ACC, with back-to-back matches against Duke and previously No. 1 UNC in two weeks. Miami is one of five ACC teams in the top 25, so every match matters for the Hurricanes’ chances in the ACC Championships.

The Hurricanes take on the Cavaliers at 3:30 p.m. this Friday in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Alexa Pappas

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...