Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis continues reign on court

Last weekend, the Hurricanes women’s tennis team handled the NC State Wolfpack with ease, delivering them a 6-1 beating at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The ITA ranked them at No. 16 in the country a few days later. As a cherry on top of a stellar weekend, junior Stephanie Wagner clocked in at No. 6 in both the singles and doubles rankings, posting the highest ranking she has had at Miami.

“The girls rebounded well; we had a tough loss on the road, so it was nice to get back out here at home and get that out of our system,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told HurricaneSports. “We have been playing some good tennis and our toughest matches are in front of us, so we need to keep it up.”

Apart from Wagner, the freshmen have also stepped up majorly for Miami. Wendy Zhang is ranked No. 96 after only having played a half-season thus far.

Last weekend, both Silvia Fuentes and Sinead Lohan pulled out wins in singles competition. If the freshmen continue to deliver at the same rate as the veterans, Miami will be able to compete with stronger teams.

This weekend, the Hurricanes face their latest challenge in the No. 8-ranked Virginia Cavaliers. Miami is 6-0 against ACC opponents, but have yet to face as strong a team as UVA.

This weekend kicks off a series of tougher challenges in the ACC, with back-to-back matches against Duke and previously No. 1 UNC in two weeks. Miami is one of five ACC teams in the top 25, so every match matters for the Hurricanes’ chances in the ACC Championships.

The Hurricanes take on the Cavaliers at 3:30 p.m. this Friday in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Alexa Pappas

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...