National News, News

Political organizations, professor comment on Ted Cruz run for president

Featured image courtesy Gage Skidmore via Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/

Courtesy Gage Skidmore via Flickr

On Monday, students at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia witnessed Senator Ted Cruz announce his presidential bid for 2016.

Cruz became the first Republican to enter the upcoming presidential race. He is considered a far right-wing candidate because of his views on limited government, Christianity and the Constitution.

During his announcement, Cruz urged the crowd to envision a government without the IRS, Affordable Healthcare Act and Common Core education standards.

Though students at Liberty University showed support for Cruz’s presidential nomination, students and faculty at UM shared different views on Cruz’s likelihood to succeed in the race.

“I think he’s a real long shot to get the nomination for the Republican party,” said Gregory Koger, associate professor of political science who teaches courses in American politics. “While he’s been in the Senate, his plan for running for president has been to try and portray himself as the only true conservative.”

Koger says that though Cruz’s decision doesn’t surprise him, he believes that it was done prematurely.

The president of UM Young Democrats, Ishtpreet Singh, thinks the nation deserves a president who will not shut down the government because his party is not getting their way.

“I assume the American people would want someone who says, ‘Look, we have our differences, but we still need to be on a path to find our common ground,’” Singh said.

Still, Chris Dalton, president of the UM College Republicans says he and the rest of the organization look forward to the 2016 presidential election.

“Cruz’s announcement has excited our club, and we look forward to following Senator Cruz’s campaign as well as keeping an eye out for other potential republican politicians who may throw their hat into the ring,” he said.

Whether or not Cruz will get the nomination from the Republican party, Koger and Singh encourage students to follow the campaign and be active in the political process.

Alexis McDonald

With remarks by entrepreneur and alumnus Rony Abovitz, a recent event at the Kislak Center showcased ...

A UM student retention task force is working to ensure that all first-year students feel at home. ...

A new School of Nursing and Health Studies’ initiative delivers critical health care for Miami’s hom ...

As part of the Leadership UMiami program, students heard from community leaders who spend their care ...

Miller School of Medicine doctors are providing assistance on Great Abaco Island, where survivors of ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...

The first-year and redshirt players in Miami's developmental training program have spent months ...