Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 3/25

Women’s Tennis

Hurricanes women’s tennis junior Stephanie Wagner moved up to No. 6  in both the national singles and doubles rankings for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Tuesday afternoon. She rose one spot in the singles rankings.

Wagner and senior Lina Lileikite jumped two positions on the doubles list. Wagner is one of four players in the country’s top 10 in both sets of rankings and one of three in the top six in both.

Wagner is 8-1 in singles dual matches this spring, including 6-0 in ACC play and 6-1 at the top position. She had seven singles victories against nationally ranked opponents in 2015.

Four other Hurricanes are ranked in singles play. Sinead Lohan is No. 39, Junior Clementina Riobueno stays at No. 63, while freshman Wendy Zhang is No. 96 and Lileikite is No. 125.

Track and Field

Hurricanes freshman Henri Delauze was named to the 51-member Bahamian team for the 2015 CARIFTA Games in St. Kitts and Nevis from April 2-7 in track and field.

He has represented the Bahamas at the 2013 and 2014 CARIFTA Games and the World Youth Championships. Delauze earned a gold medal in the 4x400m 17-under relay at the 2013 CARIFTA Games.

Delauze is one of seven athletes selected to represent the Bahamas in the under-20 group and is in the under-20 relay pool, too.

In his college debut, Delauze made a school record in the men’s 600m with a time of 1:12.26 at the Nittany Lion Challenge.

Miami’s next competition will be in Tallahassee at the Florida State Relays Friday and Saturday.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...