Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 3/25

Women’s Tennis

Hurricanes women’s tennis junior Stephanie Wagner moved up to No. 6  in both the national singles and doubles rankings for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Tuesday afternoon. She rose one spot in the singles rankings.

Wagner and senior Lina Lileikite jumped two positions on the doubles list. Wagner is one of four players in the country’s top 10 in both sets of rankings and one of three in the top six in both.

Wagner is 8-1 in singles dual matches this spring, including 6-0 in ACC play and 6-1 at the top position. She had seven singles victories against nationally ranked opponents in 2015.

Four other Hurricanes are ranked in singles play. Sinead Lohan is No. 39, Junior Clementina Riobueno stays at No. 63, while freshman Wendy Zhang is No. 96 and Lileikite is No. 125.

Track and Field

Hurricanes freshman Henri Delauze was named to the 51-member Bahamian team for the 2015 CARIFTA Games in St. Kitts and Nevis from April 2-7 in track and field.

He has represented the Bahamas at the 2013 and 2014 CARIFTA Games and the World Youth Championships. Delauze earned a gold medal in the 4x400m 17-under relay at the 2013 CARIFTA Games.

Delauze is one of seven athletes selected to represent the Bahamas in the under-20 group and is in the under-20 relay pool, too.

In his college debut, Delauze made a school record in the men’s 600m with a time of 1:12.26 at the Nittany Lion Challenge.

Miami’s next competition will be in Tallahassee at the Florida State Relays Friday and Saturday.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...