News Briefs 3/26

As part of Haitian Culture Week, the UMiami Planet Kreyol organization held an evening of kompa dancing on the UC Patio Wednesday. Haitian Culture Week continues Thursday with the Miss Planet Kreyol Pageant, to be held in the SAC Ballrooms at 7 P.M. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Miller Recognition

Dr. Pascal J. Goldschmidt, dean of UM Miller School of Medicine, announced in a university-wide email Tuesday that Miller’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of four Florida cancer centers, and the only one in South Florida, to receive recognition as a state-designated Cancer Center of Excellence. The Cancer Center of Excellence award program aims to encourage excellence in cancer care, attract and retain the best cancer care professionals, and help organizations in Florida to be recognized nationally. Goldschmidt added that Sylvester treats nearly 5,000 new cancer patients each year and the survival rates are higher than the national average.

Greek Extravaganza

The UM chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council will be having its 23rd annual Greek Extravaganza where nine sororities and fraternities compete against each other in a step show. Stepping is a combination of rhythms and sounds using footsteps, spoken word and hand claps. The show is free for students with their Cane Cards, and general admission is $10. Greek Extravaganza begins at 8 p.m. Friday at the Knight Sports Complex, located 5821 San Amaro Drive or between the Hecht Athletic Center and Cobb Stadium.

CFunk Class

The University of Miami Women’s Commission and Yellow Rose Society is teaching a CFunk class, a type of hip-hop music characterized by shouting catchphrases. The free exercise class will be held at 3:30 p.m. Monday at the Lakeside Patio.

Brazilian Night

Miami Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) invites students to a Brazilian Night that will include live music, samba dancing, food and guest speakers. The free event begins at 7 p.m. on Friday in the BCM building at 1200 Stanford Drive, across from the Mahoney-Pearson residential colleges.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...