News Briefs 3/26

As part of Haitian Culture Week, the UMiami Planet Kreyol organization held an evening of kompa dancing on the UC Patio Wednesday. Haitian Culture Week continues Thursday with the Miss Planet Kreyol Pageant, to be held in the SAC Ballrooms at 7 P.M. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Miller Recognition

Dr. Pascal J. Goldschmidt, dean of UM Miller School of Medicine, announced in a university-wide email Tuesday that Miller’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of four Florida cancer centers, and the only one in South Florida, to receive recognition as a state-designated Cancer Center of Excellence. The Cancer Center of Excellence award program aims to encourage excellence in cancer care, attract and retain the best cancer care professionals, and help organizations in Florida to be recognized nationally. Goldschmidt added that Sylvester treats nearly 5,000 new cancer patients each year and the survival rates are higher than the national average.

Greek Extravaganza

The UM chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council will be having its 23rd annual Greek Extravaganza where nine sororities and fraternities compete against each other in a step show. Stepping is a combination of rhythms and sounds using footsteps, spoken word and hand claps. The show is free for students with their Cane Cards, and general admission is $10. Greek Extravaganza begins at 8 p.m. Friday at the Knight Sports Complex, located 5821 San Amaro Drive or between the Hecht Athletic Center and Cobb Stadium.

CFunk Class

The University of Miami Women’s Commission and Yellow Rose Society is teaching a CFunk class, a type of hip-hop music characterized by shouting catchphrases. The free exercise class will be held at 3:30 p.m. Monday at the Lakeside Patio.

Brazilian Night

Miami Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) invites students to a Brazilian Night that will include live music, samba dancing, food and guest speakers. The free event begins at 7 p.m. on Friday in the BCM building at 1200 Stanford Drive, across from the Mahoney-Pearson residential colleges.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...