V's Take

Dear V: Relationships shouldn’t be scheduled

My boyfriend is a full-time college student and also works a job, so I know he has a tough schedule at times. However, lately, he’s not interested in the part of our relationship that should be the most exciting: what goes on in the bedroom. He never initiates anymore, and I’m stuck doing double the work. Because he’s so stressed, his new idea has been planning when we have sex, two times a week. I feel like I’m making appointments with my doctor, not having fun with somebody I care about! What should I do?

Sincerely,
Stuck in the Waiting Room

Dear Stuck in the Waiting Room,

You shouldn’t be made to feel that sex is merely a requirement in a relationship rather than something you can enjoy and share together with your partner. In fact, your boyfriend’s approach of scheduling when it happens takes away from one of the best parts: spontaneity.

It sounds to me like your boyfriend isn’t quite “Dr. Feelgood” right now.

In fact, I’d start to question if your Doc is seeing other patients, taking away from the time he has to spare for visiting with you.

Of course, only you know your boyfriend well enough to determine that, but the sudden lack of interest may be a symptom of a bigger problem. Only you can make that diagnosis.

If that’s not the issue, break out your scalpel and gauze. Let’s dissect this issue.

Your guy may be bored with what goes on between the sheets and has lost interest because playtime has become predictable. So, why not spice it up?

Try on some lingerie and see how he reacts to your new threads next time you’re in the sack. Or, try out that thing you’ve always wondered if he would like but have been too shy to ask. For a third idea, a change of scenery may help save your sex life from cardiac arrest. Try getting saucy in a place other than the bedroom.

Ultimately, if these treatments don’t work, there may be no cure. Perhaps your boyfriend has a lower sex drive than you do, or perhaps you’re not meant for each other. Don’t stay in a relationship where you’re not satisfied.

If you do move on, remember there is someone out there who wants to be intimate just as frequently. And when you find the right guy, you’ll know.

As they say, “the doctor will see you now.”

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...