Baseball, Sports

Canes baseball falls flat in midweek loss to FGCU

Sophomore Danny Garcia winds up for a pitch during Wednesday night’s game against FGCU at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. The No. 13 ranked team lost the game 8-1. Despite the loss, the Canes have performed well thought the season, with an 18-8 record (6-3 ACC). They will move on to play a series against North Carolina this weekend in Chapel Hill.  The Hurricanes men’s basketball team threw out the first pitch of the game, promoting its successful NIT run before heading to Madison Square Garden on March 31 for the final four round. Shreya Chidarala // Staff PhotographerThe Hurricanes men’s basketball team threw out the first pitch of the game, promoting their successful NIT run before heading to Madison Square Garden on March 31 for the final four round. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Danny Garcia winds up for a pitch during Wednesday night’s game against FGCU at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. The No. 13 ranked team lost the game 8-1. Despite the loss, the Canes have performed well thought the season, with an 18-8 record (6-3 ACC). Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

There are some nights in baseball that everything breaks your way. There are other nights when nothing seems to go right. Wednesday night for the Canes was the latter.

Miami dropped an 8-1 decision to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles Wednesday night in front of 2,328 fans at Mark Light Field, handing starter Danny Garcia his first loss of the season (4-1).

The Eagles’ Nick Rivera twice took Garcia deep, accounting for five of the seven runs he allowed, though only five of them were earned on account of three UM errors. The Eagles would tag Daniel Briggi for another run in the eighth inning.

Things got ugly from the start, as Eagles leadoff man Matt Reardon started a game with a chopper to third baseman David Thompson, who misplayed the ball for an error – one of two errors on the night for the hot-hitting third baseman.

The Eagles got another runner on before Rivera’s first home run stayed just fair over the left field foul pole.

Rivera’s second home run was a no-doubt shot into left-center field with one on and no out in the third.

That would be more than enough for Eagles (12-13-1) starting pitcher Jordan Desguin (3-0), a reliever making his first start of the season, as he held the Canes to one run on four hits in a complete game effort.

“(Desguin) left a lot of pitches up,” Thompson said, who had one of the Canes’ four hits, extending his hitting streak to 15 games. “And it was one of those nights where we kept popping stuff up. We put no pressure on the defense and made him look really good.”

Miami scored its lone run in the bottom of the third. Christopher Barr singled with one out and moved up on a Johnny Ruiz sacrifice bunt. Leadoff man Carl Chester knocked Barr in from second with a base-hit after Ruiz’s sacrifice. That would be it for the Canes’ otherwise lifeless bats.

Desguin had the Canes (18-8) number all night long, striking out five and walking one, using 118 pitches to shut UM down.

The Canes now head north to Chapel Hill to take on the North Carolina Tar Heels.

Also: The Miami men’s basketball team, one night after coming back from 18 down to beat the Richmond Spiders in the NIT, threw out the first pitches before the game.

Most of them were able to make it to the plate, though some, most notable center Tonye Jekiri, threw their pitches well over the Canes baseball players’ heads.

The Canes were not able to recreate the basketball team’s heroic comeback. The basketball team is heading to New York to play in the NIT semi-finals in Madison Square Garden next Tuesday.

Sam Lubman

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...