Campus Life, News

Best events to attend during Haitian Culture Week and Commuter Week

Since this week marks Haitian Culture Week 2015 and Commuter Week 2015, here are some events you don’t want to miss on campus, from service opportunities to cultural programs.

Drive-in Movie

As part of Commuter Week 2015, the Association of Commuter Students (ACS) invites students to a screening of “Talladega Nights” on the sixth floor of the Pavia Garage Monday night. The event will begin at 8 p.m. and will be catered by Lime.

Sa Se Ayiti: This is Haiti

As part of Haitian Culture Week 2015, “Sa Se Ayiti: This is Haiti,” presented by UMiami Planet Kreyol, will educate students on the island and its culture. The week begins with opening ceremonies from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday at the University Center (UC) Rock.

Miss Planet Kreyol Pageant

Following the week’s theme, the pageant will take contestants on a journey to explore what Haiti means to them, from its history to its culture to its people. Contestants will express themselves through dance and speech. The pageant will also feature Sejoe, a Haitian-American who runs a show on YouTube in Creglish Creole and English for the Millennial generation. The pageant will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the SAC Ballroom East.

Packing for Poverty

The Butler Center for Service and Leadership invites students to help pack peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for Camillus House in downtown Miami, an organization fighting homelessness and hunger in the city. Free pizza will be provided for those who help. The Butler Center will accepting peanut butter, jelly, juice boxes and chips to Suite 204. Packing for Poverty begins at 3 p.m. on Friday in the UC’s Storm Surge room.

Kanaval

The biggest event of Haitian Culture Week, Kanaval will have food, games, art and music. It will feature special guests DJ Bullet and the Haitian band, Xtassy. The event is free for UM students, $5 for non-UM students, and $10 for non-students. To purchase tickets, click here. Festivities will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday at the Lakeside Patio.

Featured image courtesy Orange County Archives via Flickr

Alina Zerpa

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...