Campus Life, News

Best events to attend during Haitian Culture Week and Commuter Week

Since this week marks Haitian Culture Week 2015 and Commuter Week 2015, here are some events you don’t want to miss on campus, from service opportunities to cultural programs.

Drive-in Movie

As part of Commuter Week 2015, the Association of Commuter Students (ACS) invites students to a screening of “Talladega Nights” on the sixth floor of the Pavia Garage Monday night. The event will begin at 8 p.m. and will be catered by Lime.

Sa Se Ayiti: This is Haiti

As part of Haitian Culture Week 2015, “Sa Se Ayiti: This is Haiti,” presented by UMiami Planet Kreyol, will educate students on the island and its culture. The week begins with opening ceremonies from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday at the University Center (UC) Rock.

Miss Planet Kreyol Pageant

Following the week’s theme, the pageant will take contestants on a journey to explore what Haiti means to them, from its history to its culture to its people. Contestants will express themselves through dance and speech. The pageant will also feature Sejoe, a Haitian-American who runs a show on YouTube in Creglish Creole and English for the Millennial generation. The pageant will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the SAC Ballroom East.

Packing for Poverty

The Butler Center for Service and Leadership invites students to help pack peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for Camillus House in downtown Miami, an organization fighting homelessness and hunger in the city. Free pizza will be provided for those who help. The Butler Center will accepting peanut butter, jelly, juice boxes and chips to Suite 204. Packing for Poverty begins at 3 p.m. on Friday in the UC’s Storm Surge room.

Kanaval

The biggest event of Haitian Culture Week, Kanaval will have food, games, art and music. It will feature special guests DJ Bullet and the Haitian band, Xtassy. The event is free for UM students, $5 for non-UM students, and $10 for non-students. To purchase tickets, click here. Festivities will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday at the Lakeside Patio.

Featured image courtesy Orange County Archives via Flickr

Alina Zerpa

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...