Edge, Movies

‘Cinderella’ brings magic back to Disney classic

Cinderella54dbf59c9bb9c

Photo Courtesy Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

At the stroke of midnight, a carriage turned into a pumpkin, horses changed into mice and a glass slipper was left at a royal ball in Disney’s latest film, a retelling of the fairytale “Cinderella.”

This story stars Lily James as Ella, Richard Madden as Prince Kit and Cate Blanchett as the wicked stepmother. Helena Bonham Carter as the Fairy Godmother and Sophie McShera as one of the wicked step sisters add more star power to this magical set of characters.

Aside from a new cast, the classic story unfolds on the screen in much the same way as it has before. Much to the delight of fans of the classic cartoon, the film pays tribute to several key scenes. Expect the movie to stick to the traditional storylin – the well-known story dressed up for a new audience.

This movie features beautiful wide shots of breathtaking scenery. The palace and Cinderella’s home are filled with rich details. The ball is decorated with elegant, lavish drapings and dresses.

Cinderella54dbf5934a67f

The most fantastic element are the costumes – ethereal and whimsical, exactly what a fairytale should be. The rich colors pay tribute to the cartoon, but elevate the wardrobes into its own spectacle.

The much-anticipated transformation of Cinderella’s ball gown does not disappoint. Graceful and elegant, James is a dream alongside the stunning animation. The crowning moment of Cinderella’s transformation, is of course the glass slippers– which are beautiful and thanks to the fairy godmother, “comfortable,” perhaps the most magical aspect of them all.

The characters proved delightful, from the hilarious hi-jinks of the stepsisters to the warmth of Cinderella’s parents.

Blanchett shone in her role as she added depth to this typically two-dimensional character by showing the motivation and the root of her wickedness, namely her own sorrow.

As Cinderella, James is the ideal, graceful princess who proves herself to be kind and courageous in her life. Madden plays the prince in a more relatable manner, adding character and wit. The prince notes that beyond being beautiful, Cinderella is kind, courageous and unlike any maiden he has ever met before. Swoon-worthy lines from the prince such as, “Believe me, they’re all looking at you,” complete the picture-perfect storybook tale.

The romantic scenes and costumes are the most inspired element to this movie with the same happily-ever-after. For a beautiful rendition of the quintessential princess story, “Cinderella” does not disappoint. There are no dramatic changes to the classic story, which makes it a predictable, but lovely, spectacle.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...