Campus Life, News

Walk in My Shoes for child sexual abuse passes through campus

UM alumna Lauren Books, founder of Walk in My Shoes, visited the University of Miami campus Thursday to raise awareness about child sexual abuse.

Book was a victim of childhood sexual abuse for six years, and she has worked to prevent future abuse and help survivors heal through her organization, Lauren’s Kids.

Her annual statewide “Walk in My Shoes” awareness walk across Florida passed through the UM campus Thursday afternoon. Watch the video below:

Featured image courtesy Lauren’s Kids via Facebook

Eddie Sanchez

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...