Edge, Theater

‘Wicked’ opens with a lottery

Photo Courtesy esocialworld.com

Photo Courtesy esocialworld.com

Ask a group of college students to name their favorite Broadway show, and chances are “Wicked” will come up more than once.

Since its opening in 2003, the blockbuster musical has won the hearts of millions with its catchy tunes and imaginative story and is poised to gain even more fans with this month’s national tour stop at the Adrienne Arsht Center.

Tickets are a splurge, but if you’re feeling lucky and looking to save some green, the Arsht’s nightly lottery could be your ticket to the Emerald City.

For the uninitiated, “Wicked” is a Tony Award-winning musical based on the 1995 novel with the same name by Gregory Maguire, which is in turn inspired by L. Frank Baum’s classic, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” It tells the story of Glinda (the Good Witch of the North) and Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West), a pair of young witches who grew into two of Oz’s most powerful sorceresses.

“Wicked” is one of the most popular Broadway shows of all time, breaking box office records in New York and running in theaters across the globe. Over the past 12 years, over 44 million people have seen it.

The Arsht UTIX program, which allows students to get $20 tickets to the Arsht’s productions, will not cover “Wicked.” Instead, the lottery will be the primary method for students to get more affordable tickets.

Two and a half hours before each show, the Arsht will host a ticket lottery at the box office, during which anyone can enter their name for a chance to win $25 orchestra seats – which normally retail at $125. After 20 minutes, a small number of people will be chosen for this lucky opportunity.

There are a few other requirements. Tickets must be purchased in person and with cash, and they are limited to two per person. In addition, entrants must present a photo ID to be eligible.

The show runs through March 29, with performances at 8 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, as well as additional shows at 2 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday.

Featured photo courtesy esocialworld.com. 

Madelyn Paquette

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...