Edge, Theater

‘Wicked’ opens with a lottery

Photo Courtesy esocialworld.com

Photo Courtesy esocialworld.com

Ask a group of college students to name their favorite Broadway show, and chances are “Wicked” will come up more than once.

Since its opening in 2003, the blockbuster musical has won the hearts of millions with its catchy tunes and imaginative story and is poised to gain even more fans with this month’s national tour stop at the Adrienne Arsht Center.

Tickets are a splurge, but if you’re feeling lucky and looking to save some green, the Arsht’s nightly lottery could be your ticket to the Emerald City.

For the uninitiated, “Wicked” is a Tony Award-winning musical based on the 1995 novel with the same name by Gregory Maguire, which is in turn inspired by L. Frank Baum’s classic, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” It tells the story of Glinda (the Good Witch of the North) and Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West), a pair of young witches who grew into two of Oz’s most powerful sorceresses.

“Wicked” is one of the most popular Broadway shows of all time, breaking box office records in New York and running in theaters across the globe. Over the past 12 years, over 44 million people have seen it.

The Arsht UTIX program, which allows students to get $20 tickets to the Arsht’s productions, will not cover “Wicked.” Instead, the lottery will be the primary method for students to get more affordable tickets.

Two and a half hours before each show, the Arsht will host a ticket lottery at the box office, during which anyone can enter their name for a chance to win $25 orchestra seats – which normally retail at $125. After 20 minutes, a small number of people will be chosen for this lucky opportunity.

There are a few other requirements. Tickets must be purchased in person and with cash, and they are limited to two per person. In addition, entrants must present a photo ID to be eligible.

The show runs through March 29, with performances at 8 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, as well as additional shows at 2 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday.

Featured photo courtesy esocialworld.com. 

Madelyn Paquette

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...