Edge, Fashion

Vintage looks make cool, contemporary comebacks

vintageWhile the modern girl is a little less poofy-haired and MTV-obsessed than her 80s counterpart, she can still get by with a lot of the same looks. Here are a few trends born in the 80s that guys or gals can still rock today.

Leather Jackets

Revive the 80s punk scene with a loud leather jacket. This is the perfect piece to liven up jeans and a tee or add edge to a feminine dress. Guys can rock the leather style with almost any outfit. Throw on some aviator shades for a timelessly cool look.

High-Waisted Pants

Fake longer legs with a pair of pants that cinch at the waist. Match a looser pair with a crop top and belt, or a tighter pair with an oversized cardigan. Guys can try out mid-rise jeans as an alternative to the typical sagging style.

Denim

Not just for jeans: jackets, shirts and backpacks can rock this classic blue. Add it as an accent piece or go for head-to-toe denim by mixing dark and light washes. The same goes for guys; denim goes with everything and makes outfit choosing easy.

Statement Jewelry

Eighties-inspired jewelry subscribes to the “go big or go home” motto. Chunky bangles, draping layered necklaces and big bling rings are all fair game. Guys can take on this trend with bulky watches, long dog tag necklaces, or big class rings.

Haley Walker

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...