News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Selfie with your Senator, cigarette butt collection

Returning from Spring Break, Student Government’s (SG) Senate is seeing its programs come into fruition, as well as electing a new Speaker of the Senate.

• Catch senators in their polo’s next week to “Find Your Senator.” Students who find three senators, take a selfie and upload it to Facebook with #FindYourSenator will be entered into a submission for a raffle for several prizes.
  • University Affairs will try to get more mirrors to be put into the parking lot so cars can see if anyone is coming around the corner.
  • Category 5 is hosting an Olympic Sports double header. A tennis match at 3 p.m. on Friday will have giveaways such as headbands and squeeze balls. A track and field meet at 1 p.m. on Saturday will be giving out tank tops.
  • ECO Agency’s Earth Week will take place from April 13-17, featuring the ReUse store where students can leave and take used items.
  • As part of Be Smoke Free, there will be a cigarette butt collection taking place from 2-4 p.m. on Thursday, Mar. 19 in front of Richter Library.
  • More bike racks are being placed by Hecht-Stanford, Mahoney-Pearson and outside the SAC.
  • A bill was passed for the Spirit Programming Board to have one vice-chairperson appointed by the President and the other elected by students.
  • Jeffrey Sznapstajler will be the Speaker of the Senate for the 2015-16 academic year.

Senate takes place at 4:30 p.m. every Wednesday in the Senate room on the third floor of the Student Activities Center (SAC). Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com

Alina Zerpa

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...