Recent research cracks cholesterol misconceptions

The yellow of the yolk has long been demonized as a source of high cholesterol in blood levels and has been forced out of the diets of many health-conscious individuals.

However, the effect of high-cholesterol foods on heart disease rates is now being reevaluated. The American government is retracting many of the warnings initially in place for cholesterol consumption because of significant data refuting the long-standing idea that ingested cholesterol levels cause heart disease in patients.

In the past, dietary cholesterol was strongly correlated with higher risks of heart disease and increased blood cholesterol levels. This eliminated foods such as egg yolks, lobster, shrimp and salmon from healthy diets.

Yet, new data has elucidated that correlation and states there is no link between ingested cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels. It instead depends on the source of the cholesterol rather than the quantity.

Furthermore, the previous data failed to distinguish that a high-cholesterol diet tends to be low in plant foods and that high meat intake, especially with high hormonal infusion in the meat, has actually been the major promoter of cholesterol-laden arteries. In addition to the lack of plant sterols, trans fats, which are synthesized to increase product shelf life, are actually the hidden killer.

Trans fats are created in a way that makes the body’s lipid receptors incapable of binding and clearing the cholesterol from the bloodstream. As a result, the lipids get caught behind arterial lining and become rancid, leading to inflammation and causing blockage. If gone unnoticed, the plaque could break off and cause strokes or heart attacks in individuals.

On the other hand, cholesterol and fat from sources like eggs and shrimp have indicated an increase in healthy cholesterol carriers and a decrease in the carriers responsible for systemic diseases.

In recent years, the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology have come together to reevaluate the recommendations and guidelines for cholesterol intake and have concluded that the previous data was not substantial enough to produce any definitive advice on cholesterol consumption. They also came to find that cholesterol, a necessary nutrient for the stability of cell walls and neuronal transmissions, should not be feared.

The newfound focus should be placed on the sources of dietary fats in one’s diet, with an emphasis on increasing plant intake. The U.S. government has come to agree with that stance.

Yolks can once again find their way to the breakfast table.

Faizah Shareef is a senior majoring in exercise physiology.

Featured image courtesy Ming-yen Hsu via Flickr

Faizah Shareef

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...