Blogs, Miami Globe Trotter

Miami Globe Trotter: ‘I went to India, but didn’t see the Taj Mahal’

Hiking trails in Munnar (Kerala, India) maze through lush green tea plantations.

Hiking trails in Munnar (Kerala, India) are like a maze through lush green tea plantations. Jamie Servidio // Contributing Photographer

I went to India, but didn’t see the Taj Mahal. Should I be upset?

At first, I was a little disappointed that I wouldn’t be traveling to see the Taj Mahal during my time in India. People travel from all over the world to stand in awe before this particular manmade structure. To go or not to go – that, quite literally, was the question.

After weighing my options, I came to the conclusion that staying in southern India was the more practical. The MV Explorer (our ship) ported in Cochin, so if I wanted to see the Taj, I would have to take a flight to Agra. I spent so much time traveling in other ports that I decided it was time to stay put and save the money.

Most will argue that Semester at Sea is a once-in-a-lifetime type of opportunity, so seeing the Taj Mahal is an absolute must. I would argue a different method of travel.

Instead, I went to Munnar and spent three days hiking and camping through the tea plantations. Before Semester at Sea, I didn’t even know Munnar existed. It certainly does not attract the same crowd as the Taj Mahal, and for that, I was thankful.

For those three days, I retreated to nature, syncing my breath to the fresh, crisp air. Each morning I woke up around 5:30 a.m. to catch the sunrise. We hiked in the darkness to a higher altitude from our campground until we were above the clouds.

I sat silently, surrounded by only the sounds of nature.

We hiked all day through the lush greenery and ended the day by camping under a sky of seemingly endless stars. Each day was a rich 24 hours. I found myself eager to wake up and start the cycle all over again.

While admiring my surroundings, I truly realized where I was. I was in India surrounded by the most breathtaking natural environment I have ever experienced.

I was in India, but I was not at the Taj Mahal.

So often on this trip I’ve felt obligated to turn my travels into a checklist: the places I’ve gone, the sights I’ve seen, the Instagrams I’ve posted. When travel turns into a matter of fulfilling expectations, the culture gets lost. You saw a country, but did you really experience it?

I’ve learned it is nearly impossible to experience an entire country in six days, so why rush it? Taking time to really explore a small part of a country – in my case, India – is a much more fulfilling method of travel.

And then again, who says I’ll never be back in India? Until next time!

Jamie Servidio

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...