Campus Life, News, Obituaries

Physics major, campus activist Aurora Ephraim passes away

On Monday afternoon, the university announced that junior Aurora Ephraim, 20, passed away. She died on March 15, according to Tribute.com, a local source for obituary news.

Ephraim was a physics major who lived in the University Village. She was originally from New Jersey.

She was also involved in several student organizations, including the American Society of Civil Engineers, National Organization for Women at UM (NOW) and Scientifica magazine. Additionally, she served as the former president of the Society of Physics Students (SPS).

“Aurora Ephraim was a dear friend to many here at the University of Miami. She brightened the hearts and souls of many,” said Tyler Katz, a sophomore member of SPS.

She was also a member of UPride, the LGBTQ organization on campus.

“She was a passionate member of our campus’s LGBTQ community and she was dearly loved by her fellow ‘Canes,” said Jacob Rudolph, UPride president.

In an email statement to the university community, President Donna E. Shalala expressed her condolences for the family.

There will be a vigil held in her honor at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Physics building patio. In case of rain, the memorial will be moved to the Wilder Auditorium.

University chaplains as well as the Counseling Center, which can be reached by calling 305-284-5511, are available to assist students.

Haynes Stephens contributed to this report.

This post was updated at 12:30 p.m. on March 19 to reflect a correction on vigil information. 

This post was updated at 11:10 a.m. on March 23 to include vigil details.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

In their first Climate Café, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science faculty members and

Student and faculty mentors and their foster-care teen mentees both reap rich rewards through intera

’Canes Central provides undergraduate and graduate students with easy, efficient support for registr

Neil Hammerschlag provides a preview of what to expect during this year’s shark programming set to b

University of Miami architects and engineers, spurred by lessons learned from the pandemic, re-creat