Edge, Theater

Iconic film ‘The Breakfast Club’ trades screen for stage

Thirty years after the cult-classic film “The Breakfast Club” premiered, the brain, the athlete, the basket case, the princess and the criminal will take the stage as QuantUM Entertainment hosts a play adaptation Thursday at the Cosford Cinema with performances throughout the week.

Sophomore Tyler Felts is the chair of QuantUM Entertainment, as well as the executive producer and director of this stage production. In order to create the production, he adapted the screenplay from the movie to make it into a play script. He has previously worked on the show in his hometown of Cincinnati. After its success, he proposed the show to the QuantUM executive board.

“We discussed it and we worked out a little more of the specifics, and we realized that this is actually something that we can really do this semester, and do well,” he said.

The play comes during a momentous occasion for the 80s film. This week, it celebrated its 30th anniversary. Felts believes the movie has been prolific throughout the years.

“‘The Breakfast Club’ has become this timeless thing,” he said. “The whole point of the show and of the movie is that, at the end of the day, you’re breaking down these stereotypes and working together and finding out that I can relate to each of these people.”

One of the biggest challenges, according to Felts, was keeping intimate scenes powerful without using camera angles or cuts.

“With movies, you can always cut to a new scene or cut back and forth between characters, but you can’t do that on stage,” Felts said.

Felts also cut the janitor character, Carl.

“He just kind of comes up, and in the play, when you have him there, it just makes it a little stagnant,” he said.

The library serves as the home base in the play, since it is the main setting of the movie.

Felts worked with his locations, placing actors in different places onstage and in the wings. The production crew also built the set, creating desks and even an operational door.

Freshman Alex Kamphorst will play John Bender, a character dubbed “the criminal.” He agreed that, in finding the heart in each of the stereotypes, “The Breakfast Club” has remained relevant today.

“We all came in with different expectations and different presumptions about everything from the show to each other,” Kamphorst said. “And yet, in that one rehearsal, we were able to talk and laugh, and the bizarre thing is it reminded me of the movie – the six of us strangers, coming in wondering what the hell we were doing, and then slowly getting to know each other.”

None of the actors in the performance are theater majors, and Felts admires their growth throughout the process.

“It’s been a really ensemble effort, as a show like this should be,” he said. “I’m really happy to bring [“The Breakfast Club”] here to the University of Miami.”

The opening night of the show will include an 80s Night Party starting at 7 p.m. Thursday in front of the Cosford. There will be free Buffalo Wild Wings, a photo booth, a costume contest, slap bracelets and more. The play begins at 8 p.m.

IF YOU GO

What: QuantUM Entertainment’s “The Breakfast Club”

When: 8 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Sunday

Where: Cosford Cinema, Dooley Memorial second floor

Cost: Free

> The Cinematic Arts Commission will host an 80s Night Party 7 p.m. Thursday in front of the Cosford.

Esther Ponce De Leon

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...