Edge Briefs 3/19

Jazz meets broadway

The Frost School of Music’s Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra will perform classic songs by Broadway composers at 8 p.m. Friday at the Knight Concert Hall at the Adrienne Arsht Center. The Orchestra will play with two-time Emmy and five-time Grammy-nominated entertainer Michael Feinstein, and two-time Tony Award winner Christine Ebersole. This concert celebrates the intersection of jazz and Broadway, and Scott Favin will conduct.  For more information visit arshtcenter.org.

Pool party

Free food, live music, a volleyball tournament and ticket giveaways will be part of the WMC Pool Party from 1-5 p.m. Saturday at the UC Pool. The event is hosted by WVUM 90.5 fm, the student radio station. Australian DJ and producer Thomas Jack will perform. The event will feature giveaways to performances at Trade, Bardot, Treehouse Miami, Grand Central, The Electric Pickle, Soho Studios, STORY Nightclub and Ultra Music Festival. Entrance is free with a Cane Card. Learn more and RSVP at facebook.com/wvum905.

‘Mockingjay’

“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1” will screen at 9:30 p.m. Saturday at the Cosford Cinema. The third installment in “The Hunger Games” series shows heroine Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 while she fights to save Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), who has been taken by The Capitol, and the future of Panem.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...