Edge Briefs 3/19

Jazz meets broadway

The Frost School of Music’s Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra will perform classic songs by Broadway composers at 8 p.m. Friday at the Knight Concert Hall at the Adrienne Arsht Center. The Orchestra will play with two-time Emmy and five-time Grammy-nominated entertainer Michael Feinstein, and two-time Tony Award winner Christine Ebersole. This concert celebrates the intersection of jazz and Broadway, and Scott Favin will conduct.  For more information visit arshtcenter.org.

Pool party

Free food, live music, a volleyball tournament and ticket giveaways will be part of the WMC Pool Party from 1-5 p.m. Saturday at the UC Pool. The event is hosted by WVUM 90.5 fm, the student radio station. Australian DJ and producer Thomas Jack will perform. The event will feature giveaways to performances at Trade, Bardot, Treehouse Miami, Grand Central, The Electric Pickle, Soho Studios, STORY Nightclub and Ultra Music Festival. Entrance is free with a Cane Card. Learn more and RSVP at facebook.com/wvum905.

‘Mockingjay’

“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1” will screen at 9:30 p.m. Saturday at the Cosford Cinema. The third installment in “The Hunger Games” series shows heroine Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 while she fights to save Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), who has been taken by The Capitol, and the future of Panem.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...