Edge Briefs 3/19

Jazz meets broadway

The Frost School of Music’s Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra will perform classic songs by Broadway composers at 8 p.m. Friday at the Knight Concert Hall at the Adrienne Arsht Center. The Orchestra will play with two-time Emmy and five-time Grammy-nominated entertainer Michael Feinstein, and two-time Tony Award winner Christine Ebersole. This concert celebrates the intersection of jazz and Broadway, and Scott Favin will conduct.  For more information visit arshtcenter.org.

Pool party

Free food, live music, a volleyball tournament and ticket giveaways will be part of the WMC Pool Party from 1-5 p.m. Saturday at the UC Pool. The event is hosted by WVUM 90.5 fm, the student radio station. Australian DJ and producer Thomas Jack will perform. The event will feature giveaways to performances at Trade, Bardot, Treehouse Miami, Grand Central, The Electric Pickle, Soho Studios, STORY Nightclub and Ultra Music Festival. Entrance is free with a Cane Card. Learn more and RSVP at facebook.com/wvum905.

‘Mockingjay’

“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1” will screen at 9:30 p.m. Saturday at the Cosford Cinema. The third installment in “The Hunger Games” series shows heroine Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 while she fights to save Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), who has been taken by The Capitol, and the future of Panem.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...