Baseball, Sports

Slugger David Thompson makes skilled return

David Thompson

David Thompson

Back in early February, before baseball season began, David Thompson sat in the Miami Hurricanes dugout surrounded by reporters, all of them eager to ask the Canes third baseman about his renewed health and outlook on the season.

“Who’s going to hit the most home runs?” one asked.

Thompson’s reply: “I hope it’s me.”

The junior now leads the Hurricanes with six home runs this season, five of which have come in his last six games.

Over the course of the Canes’ last six consecutive wins, Thompson has proved his prowess as a slugger. Thompson earned the ACC Player of the Week honor on Monday – thanks to a .524 batting average in five games last week, with two doubles, three home runs and 13 RBIs. But he hasn’t let it stop there.

Thompson followed that up Tuesday with two more home runs during Miami’s 9-1 win over Army. His first tied up the game, and the second was a grand slam – making it the Miami native’s first career multi-home run game.

“I knew they were gone when I hit them,” Thompson said.

Last year, Thompson missed 32 games in the middle of the season due to his thoracic outlet syndrome, which required surgery.

“It was really scary, especially going in the hospital not really knowing what happened, and it being a blood clot,” he said. “It definitely scared me, not knowing if I’d ever be able to play again or how long it’d take to recover.”

Team physician Dr. Lee Kaplan helped reassure Thompson that everything would be fine. During Thompson’s time in the hospital, head coach Jim Morris also checked in on him daily by calling and sending text messages.

Thompson’s fresh return from an interrupted sophomore season has been a sharp one. Only a month into the season, he has amassed an impressive 31 RBIs, far surpassing all of his teammates.

Thompson recalls struggling part of his freshman season with the Hurricanes. He met with Morris to ask what he could do to improve and get back in the lineup.

“He was really encouraging,” Thomspon said. “Obviously he said he was playing the guys that were playing the best at the time, but he’s going to keep working with me and said he’d never give up on me.”

It’s a good thing Morris didn’t.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...