Baseball, Sports

Slugger David Thompson makes skilled return

David Thompson

David Thompson

Back in early February, before baseball season began, David Thompson sat in the Miami Hurricanes dugout surrounded by reporters, all of them eager to ask the Canes third baseman about his renewed health and outlook on the season.

“Who’s going to hit the most home runs?” one asked.

Thompson’s reply: “I hope it’s me.”

The junior now leads the Hurricanes with six home runs this season, five of which have come in his last six games.

Over the course of the Canes’ last six consecutive wins, Thompson has proved his prowess as a slugger. Thompson earned the ACC Player of the Week honor on Monday – thanks to a .524 batting average in five games last week, with two doubles, three home runs and 13 RBIs. But he hasn’t let it stop there.

Thompson followed that up Tuesday with two more home runs during Miami’s 9-1 win over Army. His first tied up the game, and the second was a grand slam – making it the Miami native’s first career multi-home run game.

“I knew they were gone when I hit them,” Thompson said.

Last year, Thompson missed 32 games in the middle of the season due to his thoracic outlet syndrome, which required surgery.

“It was really scary, especially going in the hospital not really knowing what happened, and it being a blood clot,” he said. “It definitely scared me, not knowing if I’d ever be able to play again or how long it’d take to recover.”

Team physician Dr. Lee Kaplan helped reassure Thompson that everything would be fine. During Thompson’s time in the hospital, head coach Jim Morris also checked in on him daily by calling and sending text messages.

Thompson’s fresh return from an interrupted sophomore season has been a sharp one. Only a month into the season, he has amassed an impressive 31 RBIs, far surpassing all of his teammates.

Thompson recalls struggling part of his freshman season with the Hurricanes. He met with Morris to ask what he could do to improve and get back in the lineup.

“He was really encouraging,” Thomspon said. “Obviously he said he was playing the guys that were playing the best at the time, but he’s going to keep working with me and said he’d never give up on me.”

It’s a good thing Morris didn’t.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...