Basketball, Sports

Dancing! Canes women make NCAA tournament field

The nine days between the Miami women’s basketball team’s last game and Selection Monday were tense, nerve-racking and stressful, to say the least.

But the euphoric joy when the Miami women heard their name called – their ticket to the Big Dance punched? Well worth it.

Coach Katie Meier’s squad earned its fourth NCAA tournament in five years Monday night, an 11 seed that will travel to Iowa City to take on six seed Washington in the first round Friday at 12 p.m.

“Honestly, the past nine days, I have not been a fun person to be around,” said a relieved and overjoyed Coach Meier on a conference call after the selection. “I am so happy for this team, and these seniors. I was grabbing Ray [Suriya McGuire] every time they had a 10, 11 seed come up, with all we’ve been through. I’m so happy for them.”

Miami found itself on the tournament bubble, after dropping its last four games of the conference season to finish at 8-8, including a discouraging loss on the road at Wake Forest, who had only one win in conference play up to that point.

But the Hurricanes’ strength of schedules included a win over Notre Dame, who was number one in the RPI, and a late-season win over Syracuse on the road as well. With a win over Virginia in the ACC tournament, Miami was able to snag one of the last spots in the NCAA tourney.

If the Hurricanes can defeat Washington on Friday, they will take on the winner of the American–Iowa game to take place right after Miami and Washington.

Coverage of the game can be seen on ESPN2 and heard on WVUM 90.5 FM, the student station of the University of Miami.

AJ Ricketts

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...