Basketball, Sports

Dancing! Canes women make NCAA tournament field

The nine days between the Miami women’s basketball team’s last game and Selection Monday were tense, nerve-racking and stressful, to say the least.

But the euphoric joy when the Miami women heard their name called – their ticket to the Big Dance punched? Well worth it.

Coach Katie Meier’s squad earned its fourth NCAA tournament in five years Monday night, an 11 seed that will travel to Iowa City to take on six seed Washington in the first round Friday at 12 p.m.

“Honestly, the past nine days, I have not been a fun person to be around,” said a relieved and overjoyed Coach Meier on a conference call after the selection. “I am so happy for this team, and these seniors. I was grabbing Ray [Suriya McGuire] every time they had a 10, 11 seed come up, with all we’ve been through. I’m so happy for them.”

Miami found itself on the tournament bubble, after dropping its last four games of the conference season to finish at 8-8, including a discouraging loss on the road at Wake Forest, who had only one win in conference play up to that point.

But the Hurricanes’ strength of schedules included a win over Notre Dame, who was number one in the RPI, and a late-season win over Syracuse on the road as well. With a win over Virginia in the ACC tournament, Miami was able to snag one of the last spots in the NCAA tourney.

If the Hurricanes can defeat Washington on Friday, they will take on the winner of the American–Iowa game to take place right after Miami and Washington.

Coverage of the game can be seen on ESPN2 and heard on WVUM 90.5 FM, the student station of the University of Miami.

AJ Ricketts

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...