Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball advances to ACC quarterfinals against Notre Dame

GREENSBORO – The game did not start until 9:40 pm.

It was the second meeting between these teams in five days.

And despite a performance that was anything but sharp, the Miami Hurricanes got the job done, defeating Virginia Tech 59-49 to advance to the ACC quarterfinals and play Notre Dame Thursday night.

Head coach Jim Larrañaga said his team has played in a lot of games like Wednesday’s against Virginia Tech this season, where good defense was necessary for the Hurricanes to secure a win.

“What we’ve always told the team is, in order to win the games when you don’t shoot great, you have to play great defense. If you shoot lights out, you’ve still got to play good defense to win the game. But when you don’t shoot well, the defense is the answer,” he said. “I thought that was the key tonight. We played good defense.”

Miami limited the Hokies to 49 points on 21-52 shooting, while holding Jalen Hudson, who had 32 points the previous day against Wake Forest, to just five points on 2-7 shooting.

“He had a great game against Wake Forest, and I just wanted to make it tough for him,” said Sheldon McClellan, who tallied a game-high 16 points on the night. “As soon as the [Wake] game was over … I told coach I wanted to guard him before the game even started. So my mindset was just to start him, and my offense would come.”

McClellan scored 10 points in the first half and six in the second, none bigger than a three with 7:45 remaining to put Miami up three, moments after Virginia Tech had taken the lead.

Miami point guard Angel Rodriguez, who was listed as questionable heading into the game, scored five points on 1-4 shooting, through provided a nice burst of energy in the first half and helped facilitate the offense. Davon Reed was the only Hurricane other than McClellan with double figures; he had 10.

Miami now moves on to the quarterfinals for a rematch with Notre Dame. The Hurricanes played at Notre Dame earlier this season, at one point holding an 11-point lead in the second half before the Irish fought back.

Coverage will be at 9 p.m. Thursday on ESPN and WVUM.org.

AJ Ricketts

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...