Athletics, Sports

Data Viz: UM has third highest head coach salary gap in Florida

The University of Miami has the third highest head coach salary gap – the difference between the average coach salary for men’s and women’s sports — in the state of Florida, after University of Florida and Florida State.

The national average salary for men’s team coaches is almost four times more than that of women’s team coaches ($39,000 for men, and $10,000 for women).

At University of Colorado at Boulder, University of Kansas, Baylor University and University of Texas at Austin, men’s team head coaches make at least $200,000 more on average.

The gap in operating expenses per participant between men and women’s teams is $62,442 at UM, the second highest in the state behind FSU.

Florida Gulf Coast University has the lowest operating expense gap, with $2,033 spent on women. UF’s operating gap favors women’s teams, spending $12,897 more on women.

When it comes to athletic-related student aid, UF evenly split its spending down the middle. At UM, 42 percent of athletic-related student aid goes toward women.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of