CGIU, News

At CGIU, women urged to play role in sustainable peace negotiations

Juniors Daniela Lorenzo and Mariana Gaviria don’t include “burning bras” in their agenda for making a change, but instead look to open conversation on de-stigmatizing the “F” word: feminism.

Their project, also called The “F” Word, was created in late September after they watched Emma Watson’s speech to the United Nations about the He for She campaign.

“Our goal is to include men in the conversation, and that was really born from that movement,” Lorenzo said.

In their pursuit to make a change, Lorenzo and Gaviria were admitted to attend the Clinton Global Initiative University (CGIU) based on their project, which then led them to attend the Women at the Negotiation Table discussion on Saturday.

Moderated by filmmaker Abigail Disney, the Women at the Negotiation Table session focused on the important role women play in sustainable peace negotiations. Prominent figures such as Mirsad Jacevic, Amy Lazarus and Sanam Naraghi-Anderlini joined in on the conversation.

They discussed how women of developing or war-torn countries hold the ground for those nations, but their potential is untapped due to sexism.

Lazarus, who is the founder and CEO of InclusionVentures, LLC, talked about the importance of finding common ground in everyday negotiations to benefit the future.

“Negotiations are a part of daily life. … Studies have shown that women often negotiate better on behalf of others,” Lazarus said. “I’m inviting us all to practice that inclusion, by listening and asking the right questions.”

Though the discussion focused on the importance of women in these conversations, the panelists also pulled men into the picture.

Disney emphasized that it’s not only women that aren’t in the conversation, but men too. Instead, older, rigid men, according to Disney, hold developing and war-torn countries together – not women.

“Most people, men and women, want social change and gender equality, but we assume none of them do because the men in power often don’t,” Lorenzo said on Disney’s point. “It’s not fair to generalize, and we really need to start assessing who the real people holding change back are.”

Naraghi-Anderlini, the co-founder and executive director of International Civil Society Action Network (ICAN), added to that notion.

“If we are at a peace table, then why do we not have the people living and leading by example there?”  Naraghi-Anderlini said. “Peace is not the absence of war. Peace is the presence of something else. … We have to study peace and positively aspire toward that.”

The session closed with a call to action by Disney for participants to go to these countries and directly make change for the better.

“No amount of college courses can teach you what the women from that country have learned from that war and keeping it together with their bare hands,” Disney said. “You’ll be amazed at how your life can be changed for the better.”

Megan McCrink

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...