Community, Edge, Movies

Miami International Film Festival rolls out red carpet

Miami Dade College’s Miami International Film Festival kicked off Friday at the historic Olympia Theater at Gusman Center in Downtown.

Filmmakers, directors and producers, whose films will be screened throughout the 10-day festival, made their way down the red carpet to the Florida premiere of “Wild Tales,” the 2015 Oscar-nominated film for Best Foreign Language written and directed by Damián Szifron.

“Wild Tales” is a black comedic anthology that features an ensemble cast starring Ricardo Darin, Oscar Martinez, Leonardo Sbaraglia and Erica Rivas. The film was also nominated for a Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 2014.

Szifron’s debut feature film played at MIFF in 2004, according to the festival’s website.

Aaron Moorhead along with co-director Justin Benson were taking in all of the red carpet experience.

“It has been incredible,” Moorhead said. “We spent today lounging and soaking up Miami for the first time ever.”

Moorhead along with Benson directed “Spring,” a love story about a young man who meets a beautiful woman in Europe while trying to cope with a personal trauma. The film made its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival September 2014.

Moorhead also headed the jury for the Cineslam student competition, which took place Friday night at the Tower Theater. He grew up in Tampa and went to film school at Florida State University.

“The jurists talked about how we could use what we were doing – judging the films – as encouragement for those who have voices to keep making films,” Moorhead said. “When I went to film school … it was kind of an important thing when the instructors actually made it seem like I wasn’t just one of a mass people, but someone that had something to say.”

Tyler Huyser and Luis Galvis, two UM students, competed in Cineslam.

Huyser’s seven-minute film “Emory” is about an 18-year-old who uses graffiti to escape from Miami’s Overtown. Galvis filmed his eight-minuted documentary “Romana” in Guatemala, telling the story about an illiterate mother who strives to give her daughters an education.

Awards include Miami Cineslam Champion 2015 (which includes a $500 cash Sara Fuller Scholarship courtesy of FilmFlorida), Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Drama, Best Documentary and Best Technical Achievement.

For more information on MIFF, visit miamifilmfestival.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...