CGIU, News

Clinton, notable speakers welcome students at plenary session

Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

President Bill Clinton, Yale student Paul Lorem, actress America Fererra, U.S. Surgeon General Vivek H. Murthy and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Tawakkol Karman (left to right) discuss the motivations behind their public service. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The 2015 meeting of Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) opened officially on Friday evening. Over 1,100 student “commitment-makers” were welcomed to the University of Miami by Clinton Foundation Vice Chair Chelsea Clinton, and UM President Donna E. Shalala. The event featured a panel of notable speakers moderated by the 42nd President of the United States, William Jefferson “Bill” Clinton.

President Clinton and Chelsea Clinton took this time to announce their hopes for Shalala’s prospects as the future president of the Clinton Foundation after her tenure at UM.

“I hope you don’t run for office,” President Clinton joked to Shalala. “Stay with us.”

President Clinton then opened up the plenary with a “lightning round,” during which he invited five individuals from past CGI Us to briefly discuss the success of their initiatives. Initiatives tackled malnutrition, vaccination and international economic development.

The following panel, entitled “Fast Forward: Accelerating Opportunity for All,” featured actor, producer and activist America Ferrera; Surgeon General of the United States, Dr. Vivek Murthy; Sudanese refugee, entrepreneur and Yale University student Paul Lorem; and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and founder of Women Journalists Without Chains (WJWC), Tawakkol Karman.

According to President Clinton, the panel’s purpose was to gather people who had rendered “public service as private citizens,” and to help students see “how the trajectory of their lives are reflected” in students’ lives.

The speakers each provided calls to action for the students at CGI U, emphasizing that the problems of the world were connected. Dr. Murthy said that the world could not be looked at in “silos” of problems that could be individually examined.

Ferrera called taking action to better society as the “smart thing to do.”

“Talent is universal, but opportunity is not,” she said. “Engage those who aren’t where you are … then go work with them to make the future you want to live in.”

As a Yemeni activist and senior member of the Al-Islah political party, Karman spoke extensively about her motivation to protest and put her life at risk. According to Karman, it was the desire to make the world better for her children and for all Yemeni youth that drove her actions.

“We live in a small village,” Karman said. “We are all one family – we must take care of ourselves.”

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...