Basketball, Sports

Canes win sans captain’s support

Redshirt Junior Angel Rodriguez during February's game against Louisville. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Redshirt Junior Angel Rodriguez during February’s game against Louisville. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

An air of uncertainty surrounded the Miami Hurricanes matchup against the Pittsburgh Panthers on Wednesday night. Two of Miami’s key players were listed as injured, and the team’s season outlook remained unclear.

Despite setbacks, the Canes were able to pull off a 67-63 win over the Panthers, led by Sheldon McClellan and Davon Reed, who tied his career-high of 19 points. Miami improved to 19-11 overall and 9-8 in the ACC.

On Feb. 25, team captain Angel Rodriguez sustained a wrist injury while taking a charge against Florida State, but he still remained in the game. In the Hurricanes’ subsequent game against North Carolina, however, he played for only three minutes.

The Hurricanes went on to lose against North Carolina Saturday a hit to the Canes’ run at the NCAA tournament.

To make matters worse, leading scorer McClellan also sustained a groin injury. He still started Wednesday night’s game against Pittsburgh (19-12, 8-9 ACC).

McClellan and Rodriguez are the team’s two leading scorers.  The team has struggled when both players were off the court.

Despite poor performance in the first half, McClellan gained momentum in the second, surpassing Reed’s 19 points with 20 of his own. McClellan attempted 16 two-pointers and made six.

McClellan has been one of the best shooting guards in the nation this season, shooting 51 percent from the field.

In the first three minutes, the Canes jumped to a 7-0 lead, initiated by a three-pointer by Reed. Then, Panthers junior point guard James Robinson sunk a three-point jumper to put them on the board.

The Panthers continued a 9-0 run and Miami ultimately trailed for most of the first half. Miami kept the game close, with the Panthers leading 33-29 at halftime.

ACC leading rebounder Tonye Jekiri had 11 rebounds in the game. Reed dominated in the first half, leading the Canes with 12 points, which is significantly better than his average 7.3 points per game. He shot 7 of 8 from the field and 3 of 3 outside the arc.

This victory was the Hurricanes’ first win at Pittsburgh since 2000 and their first road win since Feb. 15.

The Canes will play their final season game on the road against Virginia Tech at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Courtney Fiorini

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...