Sports Briefs 3/5

Women’s Basketball

The eighth-seeded Hurricanes (18-11, 8-8 ACC) have a bye in the first round of the ACC Tournament, then face ninth-seeded Virginia Cavaliers (17-12, 7-9 ACC) at 2 p.m. Thursday in round two at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The Canes have won five of the past six meetings against the Cavaliers and trail 8-6 in the all-time series. This season, Miami came back from an early 10-0 deficit to defeat Virginia 67-58 at the BankUnited Center in January. Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley has scored double digits 26 times in 29 games this season, become a Blue Ribbon Panel All-ACC First Team selection and was named both the espnW National Player of the Week and ACC Player of the Week Jan. 12. She is one of two players to start every game this season, along with redshirt senior forward Jassany Williams. Under coach Katie Meier, the Canes have made five consecutive postseason appearances, three in the NCAA Tournament and two in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament (WNIT). They also had over 20 wins in four of the past five seasons.

Men’s Tennis

The Hurricanes Men’s Tennis squad will host George Washington 2 p.m. Friday. In their last competition, the Canes won the doubles point over Bethune-Cookman before play was stopped due to rain. The doubleheader was canceled and has not yet been rescheduled. The George Washington men’s tennis team is coming off a win to No. 65 DePaul in a come-from-behind 4-3 win on Saturday at the Southeast Tennis Center. That win was the first ranked victory in 2015 and the Colonials’ third consecutive win this season. Miami will begin George Washington’s eight-match road trip.

The Canes will kick-off ACC play against Georgia Tech on 12 p.m. Sunday.

Baseball

The No. 11 Miami Hurricanes traveled to Roger Dean Stadium for their annual exhibition with the Marlins Tuesday. With a final score of 7-1, the Canes lost to the Major League Baseball (MLB) team, who played without star player Giancarlo Stanton. The Marlins lineup featured Ichiro Suzuki, Christian Yelich, Adeiny Hechavarria and other regular starters. Canes starter Ryan Otero pitched two scoreless innings to open the game. Otero got help from his defense, including back-to-back diving plays from shortstop Brandon Lopez that kept the score at 0-0 in the second inning. The Canes hit a snag in the third, when Marlins third baseman Martín Prado singled to put runners on first and third base against relief pitcher Daniel Briggi. Justin Bour brought in a run with an RBI single and the Marlins jumped ahead 7-0. Miami went scoreless until the seventh, when Zack Collins connected on a double to open the inning and scored on an RBI groundout from Peter Crocitto, but it was not enough.

Track and Field

Seven Miami Hurricanes have qualified to compete in the 2015 NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Track and Field Championships. Shakima Wimbley, Lea Johnson, Tiffany Okieme, Kelsey Balkwill, Taneisha Cordell, Anthonia Moore and Jamika Glades will represent the Canes against the nation’s top track and field athletes. The championships will begin March 13-14 in Fayetteville, Ark. Wimbley will compete in the women’s 400m. She entered the NCAA Indoor Championships with the sixth-fastest qualifying time in the country. Wimbley also had a 200m time of 23.08 seconds that ranked among the top 16 in the country, but elected compete in the 400m for the competition. Johnson will head to nationals after earning first team All-ACC honors and repeating as the ACC Indoor Champion in the women’s weight throw. Okieme earned first team All-ACC in the women’s weight throw as well, earning a bronze medal in the ACC championships. Balkwill, Cordell, Glades, Moore and Wimbley will make up a 4x400m relay.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...