Sports Briefs 3/5

Women’s Basketball

The eighth-seeded Hurricanes (18-11, 8-8 ACC) have a bye in the first round of the ACC Tournament, then face ninth-seeded Virginia Cavaliers (17-12, 7-9 ACC) at 2 p.m. Thursday in round two at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The Canes have won five of the past six meetings against the Cavaliers and trail 8-6 in the all-time series. This season, Miami came back from an early 10-0 deficit to defeat Virginia 67-58 at the BankUnited Center in January. Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley has scored double digits 26 times in 29 games this season, become a Blue Ribbon Panel All-ACC First Team selection and was named both the espnW National Player of the Week and ACC Player of the Week Jan. 12. She is one of two players to start every game this season, along with redshirt senior forward Jassany Williams. Under coach Katie Meier, the Canes have made five consecutive postseason appearances, three in the NCAA Tournament and two in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament (WNIT). They also had over 20 wins in four of the past five seasons.

Men’s Tennis

The Hurricanes Men’s Tennis squad will host George Washington 2 p.m. Friday. In their last competition, the Canes won the doubles point over Bethune-Cookman before play was stopped due to rain. The doubleheader was canceled and has not yet been rescheduled. The George Washington men’s tennis team is coming off a win to No. 65 DePaul in a come-from-behind 4-3 win on Saturday at the Southeast Tennis Center. That win was the first ranked victory in 2015 and the Colonials’ third consecutive win this season. Miami will begin George Washington’s eight-match road trip.

The Canes will kick-off ACC play against Georgia Tech on 12 p.m. Sunday.

Baseball

The No. 11 Miami Hurricanes traveled to Roger Dean Stadium for their annual exhibition with the Marlins Tuesday. With a final score of 7-1, the Canes lost to the Major League Baseball (MLB) team, who played without star player Giancarlo Stanton. The Marlins lineup featured Ichiro Suzuki, Christian Yelich, Adeiny Hechavarria and other regular starters. Canes starter Ryan Otero pitched two scoreless innings to open the game. Otero got help from his defense, including back-to-back diving plays from shortstop Brandon Lopez that kept the score at 0-0 in the second inning. The Canes hit a snag in the third, when Marlins third baseman Martín Prado singled to put runners on first and third base against relief pitcher Daniel Briggi. Justin Bour brought in a run with an RBI single and the Marlins jumped ahead 7-0. Miami went scoreless until the seventh, when Zack Collins connected on a double to open the inning and scored on an RBI groundout from Peter Crocitto, but it was not enough.

Track and Field

Seven Miami Hurricanes have qualified to compete in the 2015 NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Track and Field Championships. Shakima Wimbley, Lea Johnson, Tiffany Okieme, Kelsey Balkwill, Taneisha Cordell, Anthonia Moore and Jamika Glades will represent the Canes against the nation’s top track and field athletes. The championships will begin March 13-14 in Fayetteville, Ark. Wimbley will compete in the women’s 400m. She entered the NCAA Indoor Championships with the sixth-fastest qualifying time in the country. Wimbley also had a 200m time of 23.08 seconds that ranked among the top 16 in the country, but elected compete in the 400m for the competition. Johnson will head to nationals after earning first team All-ACC honors and repeating as the ACC Indoor Champion in the women’s weight throw. Okieme earned first team All-ACC in the women’s weight throw as well, earning a bronze medal in the ACC championships. Balkwill, Cordell, Glades, Moore and Wimbley will make up a 4x400m relay.

Courtney Fiorini

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...