News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap 3/4: Snapchat filter, dorm blueprints, Greek Extravaganza

Before students enjoy their spring break vacations, Student Government (SG) is preparing for events once campus is back in session.

• The Policy and Finance committee only has $1,600 left for semester co-sponsorship. There will be more of a focus on finances for SG.
  • The Academic Affairs committee will be finishing its improvements on the cognate search engine and Public Relations (PR) will work with advisers to send out a cognates FAQ to best help students with the process. Senators will also send the FAQ to their constituents.
  • PR is working with Richter Library to get graphics onto computer screens to promote Safe Ride, a transportation system to help students late at night.
  • University Affairs (UA) is still working on improvements to the take-out system in the dining halls and getting microwaves in the vending machine areas in Hecht and Stanford residential colleges.
  • Clear bags will also be distributed from the dorms for football season next semester, and the timing of the shuttle stop at the Ashe building will be improved.
  • UA is also working with ECO to give ideas to incorporate in the blueprints for the new Hecht and Stanford buildings that will be built.
    • Shower heads at a more appropriate height
    • Each dorm building will have a food option; for example, a Miami’s Best Pizza
    • More refillable water fountains like the ones already throughout campus
    • No classrooms in case of an emergency and the buildings need to be locked
    • Issues with lighting will be fixed so it is the same on all the floors
    • Possibility of group floor housing in case an organization or a chapter wants to live together
    • Bringing a cheap option like Wendy’s back on campus
  • Thursday is the last day for students who are taking research, a course or practicum for credit at the Miller School of Medicine, to pick up their metro passes. Contact Jesus Melendez at j.melendez4@umiami.edu, and then go to the Registrar’s office.
  • SG will have its own Snapchat filter coming soon.
  • Be Smoke Free Week will take place on campus the week after spring break to promote the smoke-free policy.
  • National Pan-Hellenic Council will receive $750 for “Greek Extravaganza” to help rent a stage for its stomp show. Teams consist of students from the nine historically African-American sororities and fraternities to perform a skit. The event is free and open for all students at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Mar. 29.

Alina Zerpa

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...