News Briefs 3/5

Junior Christian Perez, freshman Patricia Colon, junior Daniel Cantrelle and freshman Ashley Bahamonde (left to right) play a game of dominos on the Moss Terrace as part of  Week of Cuban Culture.

Junior Christian Perez, freshman Patricia Colon, junior Daniel Cantrelle and freshman Ashley Bahamonde (left to right) play a game of dominos on the Moss Terrace as part of  Week of Cuban Culture. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Carnegie Foundation Post-Baccalaureate Fellowship

The Carnegie Foundation Post-Baccalaureate Fellowship introduces recent college graduates to a two-year program about improving work in education, education policy, improvement science, research-practice partnerships, and collaborative networks. Benefits include networking and collaboration opportunities to work with leaders, a national conference, $38,500 annual compensation, relocation stipend to facilitate moving to the San Francisco Bay Area and use of Stanford facilities. Students interested must apply before Mar. 16 on tinyurl.com/CFoundation. For more information, contact the Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships at prestigiousawards@miami.edu.

The Crisis of Islamic Masculinities

Amanullah De Sondy, University of Miami Assistant Professor of Religious Studies, will present his book, The Crisis of Islamic Masculinities. De Sondy argues that constrainers of masculinity in the Islamic community have used God and women to think with and dominate. He connects the study of religion to the key themes of gender, ethnicity, race, and pluralism. The event is free and open to the public at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Mar. 18, at Books & Books, 265 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables, Fl 33134. For more information, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Help “The U” Improve

Over 5,000 University of Miami freshmen and seniors were selected to participate in a national web-based survey about their college experience. Students who completed the survey will be receiving a USB adapter with the UM logo. After completing the survey, students are entered in a raffle to win a 32GB iPad Mini; the winner of the iPad will be contacted directly in the beginning of April. To see the schedule to pick-up the USB adapters, visit tinyurl.com/USBPickUp.

Commencement Speaker

Students who are going to be undergraduate degree candidates for May 2015 are invited to apply to be the commencement student speaker. To apply, students must have a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher and must apply to graduate by Mar. 6. There must also be an essay, no more than 500 words, on “My legacy and the legacy of the Class of 2015”, a two minute video of the speech due by Mar. 18, two letters of recommendation and a biological information form. Applications must be submitted to Lexi Matiash at LMatiash@miami.edu by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Mar. 18. Finalists will interview with the selection committee by the first week of April. To apply, visit miami.edu/commencement.

White House Advisor

Vice President Joe Biden announced  the appointment of Carolina Bettinger-Lopez as the new White House Adviser on Violence Against Women, handling issues about domestic violence and sexual assault. As a leading advocate for gender-based equality and human rights at local, national, and international levels to bring an end to violence against women. She will collaborate with federal agencies to address violence against women and girls domestically and globally.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alina Zerpa

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...