Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor: “UM traditions go beyond color”

It is said that every tradition starts with a new idea. All it takes is a group of people, or even one bold person, to start something from its infancy. Many of these ideas fizzle out over time due to others challenging them or not believing that there’s a future for them. Other ideas flourish into longstanding traditions that are intertwined into our history.

As the co-chairs of Orange Festival, we have been contemplating the concept of “tradition” a lot lately. Where do they come from? How do they start? Why do people support them while others openly mock them? These conversations are natural to occur for a tradition such as Orange Festival, which is celebrating only its third year on our campus at the University of Miami. Orange Festival is a new tradition, but a tradition nevertheless.

For those that were actually in attendance at Orange Festival 2015 last Friday, the event was a tremendous success. More than 600 students, faculty members, administrators and alumni came to the Student Activities Center promenade for the day.  Sebastian the Ibis, the Miami Maniac, and Obie the Orange, from the Orange Bowl, were all there. Attendees enjoyed learning about older traditions from the different organizations and departments that define our school’s history. Free food, T-shirts, games and celebrations all took place as people enjoyed partaking in the third annual Orange Festival.

We could not have been more proud of the work our team has accomplished since we first met to plan this year’s festival back in September. It is because of their support, and the support of our friends, that Orange Festival continues to become better. We challenged ideas, became creative with ways to improve the event, and brought more people together in orange than ever before. Our love for the University of Miami fueled our efforts to make this festival the best one yet and to continue making Orange Festival a part of our UM history.

In the end, Orange Festival was created simply from an idea. An idea that ourselves and others have challenged, supported and hoped to make better for over three years now.

That sounds like a tradition to us.

See Also: Patrick Quinlan’s article “UM traditions go beyond color”

Claire Kebodeaux is a senior majoring in psychology. Seth Furman is a senior majoring in business management.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...