Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor: “New projects should be prioritized”

Your past issue’s opinion piece on two bridges planned for construction was misguided and inaccurate. The university Campus Planning and Development Department works very hard to prioritize construction projects, often before they are announced. This Lake Osceola bridge is just one instance where we are planning for the future of this campus, which will offer more housing, activities and parking on one side of the lake. Currently, except for walking through the University Center, which is not open at all hours, there is no easy way to cross over to the Student Activities Center (SAC) to access all the activities happening on that side of the lake.

In fact, The Miami Hurricane has run several recent articles about that bridge, which will skirt the lake patio area and is designed to move people from the Eaton Residential College side to the SAC side of the lake. This newspaper got it right on the news side. The bridge replaces one that was there previously, and is essential to moving people around campus, given future campus planning. Construction for this bridge would take place in the summer months, and will not “permanently block our beautiful view of the entire lake as we walk along.” Additionally, this bridge in no way “pressures the city [sic]to build a bridge over the highway,” nor is there any need to pressure our county leadership.

To clarify, the pedestrian bridge which Miami-Dade County has designed to traverse U.S. 1 at Mariposa Court near the University Metrorail station is not on campus property, nor uses any university funding whatsoever. It will, in fact, have a ground breaking this spring. I would be happy to discuss this further with you before you put your pen to paper to write about it or any other campus projects in the future.

See Also: Alyssa Jacobson’s article “New projects should be prioritized”

Janet Gavarrete is associate vice president of UM Campus Planning and Development Department.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...