Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes defeat Virginia in crucial ACC first round matchup

Michelle Woods and Erykah Davenport embrace after a Woods three late in the game. // Courtesy - The ACC

Michelle Woods and Erykah Davenport embrace after a Woods three late in the game. Photo Courtesy ACC

GREENSBORO, North Carolina – After dropping four straight games to end the regular season, the importance of Miami’s first round ACC matchup grew tenfold. NCAA Tournament implications were now talking points.

The Hurricanes responded, defeating Virginia 62-52 Thursday afternoon at the Greensboro Coliseum, setting up a rematch with No. 1 seed Notre Dame, and maybe just pushing Miami off the NCAA Tournament bubble.

Miami (19-11) was led by 15 points from sophomore Adrienne Motley, while senior Necole Sterling added 13, 10 of those in the first half in what was a back-and-forth, entertaining ballgame. The Canes and Virginia (17-13) accounted for 15 lead changes throughout the game.

The turning point took place starting with 13:28 in the second half, after a Mikayla Venson three put Virginia up 40-39. From there, Miami would hold the Cavaliers scoreless for the next six minutes of play, during which time the Canes went on a 10-0 run to assert control of the game. Virginia would not get closer than seven points the rest of the game.

The Hurricanes held Virginia’s leading scorer, Faith Randolph, to just six points on the afternoon. Randolph came into the tournament averaging 16.3 PPG, including 24 and 23 in her previous two games against Carolina and Louisville, respectively.

Miami now advances to the ACC Tournament quarterfinals to meet top-seed Notre Dame 2 p.m. Friday afternoon. Miami is the only team to defeat the Irish in ACC play since Notre Dame joined the league last season. The Hurricanes defeated the Irish 78-63 earlier this season at the BankUnited Center.

Coverage of the game can be heard on WVUM.org, and watched on the ACC Network regional affiliates.

AJ Ricketts

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...