Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes wrap up homestand with win over FGCU

The Hurricanes (9-4) held their annual matchup with the Marlins Tuesday, and held their own for three innings before the Marlins went off for six runs in the fourth. The Fish started many of their notable names, before replacing most in the third and fourth innings.

UM pitchers squared off against professionals like Ichiro Suzuki and Dee Gordon.

The names weren’t quite as big Wednesday night against FGCU, but Miami, led by Zack Collins’ 2-3 night, cruised by the Eagles, 7-3.

“It felt good tonight,” said Collins to HurricaneSports after the game. “I felt really good at the plate.”

Collins entered the game with a 1-18 slump at the plate to his name, but quickly broke out of it, launching a home run to center field on the first pitch he saw from FGCU’s Sterling Koerner.

Miami will now travel to Louisville to open up ACC play in a three-game series with the Cardinals, a program that has reached Omaha the past two seasons.

AJ Ricketts

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...